Allow to prevent "Close window on execute" on one single execution (with a shortcut)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
darguedas

Allow to prevent "Close window on execute" on one single execution (with a shortcut)

Post by darguedas »

Hi! recent Voidtools fan here. I've started using Everything recently and I absolutely love it already ๐Ÿ˜€

My suggestion: I like the option "General > Results > Close window on execute", I always use it as it makes general workflow faster and cleaner... but from time to time, I really miss the option to let me prevent this window from auto closing on certain cases... something as simple as "if you hold down SHIFT while you execute an item (eg. by pressing SHIFT+ENTER), then Everything will execute the item and keep the results window open".

90% of the time the usual workflow is perfect: shortcut to open Everything > type something > find and execute > auto close > me loving the tool๐Ÿ˜

but those occasional times when I'm searching for something very specific with after a very refined search which is narrowing down the number of results... then I'm browsing the results... I think I'll possibly want to open a couple of them... but when I execute one, then the window closes... ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ oh no! I'll have to open it again to repeat the search and remember where I was in the search results list...

This simple and small addition would be a big quality of life improvement, so I'd really really appreciate to have it in the next version of Everything.

Either way, thanks a lot for this amazing tool, you guys rock โ™ฅ
NotNull

Re: Allow to prevent "Close window on execute" on one single execution (with a shortcut)

Post by NotNull »

darguedas wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 pm [...]and I absolutely love it already
[...]
I really miss the option to let me prevent this window from auto closing on certain cases... something as simple as "if you hold down SHIFT while you execute an item (eg. by pressing SHIFT+ENTER), then Everything will execute the item and keep the results window open".
Good news for you: there is more to love already :D
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Keyboard
  • In the Show commands containing: fileld, type close
  • Select File | Open Selection and do not Close Everything from the list
  • Click the Add button
  • REsult-list shortcut = 'SHIFT + ENTER'
  • Press the OK button (twice) to return to teh Everything main window.
  • Done!
Now you can press 'SHIFT + ENTER' on a file to execute it and keep Everything opened.
(SHIFT + double mouse-click is not supported, btw)
harryray2

Re: Allow to prevent "Close window on execute" on one single execution (with a shortcut)

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks for that...just tried it out, didn't seem to work...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:08 pm didn't seem to work...
That's a bit vague ... what did (not) happen, what did you see/hear/..?
Were you using Everything 1.4 too? What version? 32-bit or 64-bit?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

1.5 64 bit...Everything still closes on execution.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

harryray2 wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:24 pm Everything still closes on execution.
Did you press SHIFT + ENTER or ENTER or double-clichk with the mouse?
You should use SHIFT + ENETR

Does your configuration look like the following?

2022-03-29 21_31_51-Everything Options.png
2022-03-29 21_31_51-Everything Options.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

harryray2 wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:24 pm 1.5 64 bit...Everything still closes on execution.
Shift Enter works perfect here.

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:35 pm Shift Enter works perfect here.
Same here. 1.4 as well as 1.5 (v1304). Both x64
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Yes, the configuration is set correctly..I tried it on global as well. Neither works.
darguedas

Post by darguedas »

NotNull wrote: โ†‘Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:20 pm Good news for you: there is more to love already :D
Wow! awesome, I love you guys even more now ๐Ÿ™Œ I've just set it up and it works like a charm! Thank you so much!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ And thanks a lot for the quick response too! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I can't work it out, I've also tried other key combinations...possibly one of my ini settings?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I can't work it out, I've also tried other key combinations...possibly one of my ini settings?
Do you have General -> Results -> Close window on execute enabled?

Please check if there is an existing key bind:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show commands containing, type in: close
  • Select File | Open Selection and do not Close Everything
  • Click Add....
  • Press Shift + Enter
  • Is anything listed in Shortcut key currently used by?
To list all your key bindings:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    about:keys
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Shift + Enter isn't being used by anything else in Everything.
Attachments
keyboard.JPG
keyboard.JPG (29.45 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is the result list focused when you press Shift + Enter?
Shift + Enter isn't being used by anything else in Everything.
Please send your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini to support@voidtools.com
(If you are using a named instance, please send your Everything-<instance-name>.ini)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the Everything.ini harryray2,

Everything 1.5.0.1306 adds support for 'Open Selection and do not Close Everything' when using minimize on close.