Pin / Don't Reuse Window

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Pin / Don't Reuse Window

Post by meteorquake »

Currently there's a "New Window" launch option that means an existing one isn't reused.
What I find in practice is that there are one or two windows I want fixed and not reused while open, and the remainder can get reused.
If not already present (we're all trying to keep up with learning!) it would be useful to have some kind of pinning option that prevents a window's reuse, so when a standard launch is performed it will reuse any window that's not pinned.
I suppose under the View menu you could have a "Don't Reuse Window" option that's unticked for every new window however created?
David
NotNull

Re: Pin / Don't Reuse Window

Post by NotNull »

One of the suggestions (that made it to the to-do list IIRC) was a tabbed interface for Everything, just like a web browser.
I think your suggestion would fit nicely in that idea :)
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I'm seeing them as slightly different - my preference with most programs is to have separate windows, and Everything is very much one of them. Tabs just involve an extra click - 1 to open the window, 2 to choose the tab, instead of just clicking or dragging onto the required window. My task bar is double height to ensure tasks get sufficiently titled, and it means you can see everything in a single glance, which tabs make obscure...
David
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I can see the reason for wanting this, as it requires a bit more discipline on whether to hit the Toggle hotkey or the New Window hotkey when you have an Everything window open for reference on a secondary monitor, while flicking through Explorer windows and tertiary Everything windows to perform tasks. You don't want to lose your reference Everything window, because it might already be curated to display dupes and verified files, etc.

A protected tab wouldn't work since you want the window to be visible on a second monitor. (It would have to be a protected tab of 1, and the window slated for "do not reuse this window.")

I can't think of an elegant solution other than care and discipline to use the correct Toggle / New Window hotkeys as needed.

Actually, this might be a workable solution for this scenario. Open up two Everything windows, and then disable close_on_toggle with /close_on_toggle=0. This way using the Toggle hotkey will not destroy your reference window. When done, remember to use /close_on_toggle=1 to return to normal.

You can create a bookmark with the command /close_on_toggle=! to flip/flop this setting with a single menu click.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am considering a newwindow: or a pin: search function that would prevent the current window from being reused.

Thank you for the suggestion.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Speaking as someone that often has multiple windows open, I like the tabs idea...much neater.
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

pin: would certainly work very well as far as I can see!

David