Remame header title

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
mczerski

Remame header title

Post by mczerski »

Hi, I have searched fora, but I have not found a solution to my question. I admit, that its subject is not crucially important, but a solution could make it easier to read and manage file list.

Here is my question/suggestion:
Is it possible to change the titles of columns on the filelist? I need to use multicolumn lists including, inter alia, descendant/disc child file/folder numbers etc., access/modification/creation dates etc. etc, so that my file list table seems "endlessly" wide ;) In the original layout the titles of certain columns are quite long, e.g. "Child Folder Count from Disc". I know, I may "truncate" the title by narrowing the width of the column so that some characters of the title are "cut" from their right end, but it is impractical, because, for instance, the "descendant" type columns cannot be narrowed to less than 15 characters to bring info on the column content while some 6 – 7 characters would do (as there are, say, no more than 9999999 child files/folders on my discs). My idea implies that it would be up to the operator to find title names intuitively selfexplanatory and suitable for him/her. Of course, the operation of the database with the use of various functions, filters etc. would still require that the original, technical titles of headers are used for these purposes. What I mean is only the alteration of the display of column titles on the file lists and search result lists.

I look forward to your remarks and advice.
Thanks for your attention.
Best regards – Marek
raccoon

Re: Remame header title

Post by raccoon »

The keyword to search for is localization_strings (forum search).
void wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 pmColumn header text can be customized with the localization_strings (documentation) ini setting.

For example:
localization_strings=Alternate Data Stream Count=Count (AltData);Alternate Data Stream Names=Names (AltData)
This is a feature of Everything 1.5 Alpha that is currently in development and testing.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thank you for your reply and I do appologize that I had missed the tread your advised in your message. Regards, Marek
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'll look into using shorter names for a few columns.
Thanks for the suggestion.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

void wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:55 am I'll look into using shorter names for a few columns.
Personally I think that – as long as a user knows how to achieve a desired effect – it is likely not necessary because:
1) everybody can localize the titles suitably to his/her requiremets, if only he/she knew how to do it (and – thanks to your advice on string localization option, my listings now look like those I dreamt of)
2) the names of (almost all) columns are intuitively selfexplanatory, which is good as everybody may understand what a given variable/column title means.

For me, the problem was to find a proper solution to my "dream layout" amongs a lot of other options. I do appreaciate, I really do, that you provide extensive and complete information under Help heading and on the fora. This is what very few developers offer.

Below you’ll find just a thought originating from my experience related to the localization and some other issues I asked on the fora and got happy to have them solved :)

However, the user’s problem is (or, at least – my problem was) what French call: "L'embarras des richesses" (i.e. too much goods to be happy ;)) . I would suggest then that there could be yet another heading in the Help section, titled "Help in brief" or "Most common issues" etc., which – in a carefully structured manner – would address questions and issues most often asked about or sought on the forums. That solution could probably also ease your hard job with monitoring and replying questions, queries, issues etc. submitted and/or reported by the users. In order to optimize the contents of such "help in brief" you could encourage members of the fora community to participate in a kind of "public opinion poll" so that you could collect information from users assigning relevant weights to selected issues. For instance, "how important is it for you to learn how to localize column titles (tip 0 – 4 where, 0 – not important at all , 1– could be useful, but not badly needed, ... 3 – badly needed, 4 – great idea, I will use it) And "mandatory question" other issues to be addressed in the "Help in brief".

However, I am sure that you’ll find the most optimal solution due to – first of all – your user exceptionally friendly and competent approach and to your extremely broad experience derived from contacts with users, Best regards and developments, Marek
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I would like if the final version of 1.5 had a renumbered Strings index. There are so many obsoleted items and sections that the column headers are now split up all over the place, with old header names lingering like vampires, and replicated all over.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

I like the idea! Keep doing your great job!!!
If I could be of any assistance, for instance, in sharing a user’s perspective, just do not hesitate to let me know and I will be just happy to help – gratuitously, of course. My background is that of a linguist and of natural science researcher with a broad teaching/lecturing experience and some computer programming skills, while in terms of the computer use my experience started in "old good ages" of CPM and DOS systems.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I can't reorder existing Everything 1.4 strings for backwards compatibility.

A lot of new text does not have a localization string index yet.

I will look into reordering new strings when Everything 1.5 is ready for translating.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

I assume that you mean "translation" in terms of localizing your softaware (rather than translating the IT code into an executable format), and if it occurs to you that you need an additionaol translator’s assistance/service, then I could be at your disposal. Of course, I am sure you have an English>Polish translator(s) in your team, because the quality of language in the sections already translated into Polish is very, very good, far exceeding IT common standards, so my "offers" is "just in case" an extra force would occur needed. I have considerably long and broad dossier in translating from English (as well as from French and Russian) into Polish and, actually, my interface is a "combination" of English and Polish words and phrases, so I guess that in terms of localization there is still this or that to be done. Cheers and good luck! Marek
void
Developer

Post by void »

I assume that you mean "translation" in terms of localizing your software
Yes.

Thank you for your offer to help with translating Everything.
I will let you know if I need any help.