[RFE] Add an option to sort Everything.ini entries in ascending order when saving it

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Claudio Salvio

[RFE] Add an option to sort Everything.ini entries in ascending order when saving it

Post by Claudio Salvio »

Hi David

Thanks again for your great work.

It seems to me that it could be useful to sort Everything.ini (and Everything-1.5a.ini) entries in ascending order when saving it, especially for those of us who suffer with OCD 😜.

I'm a bit of a fan of sorting everything alphabetically when there is no reason otherwise.
In my experience this saves time because it adds predictability when interacting with lists.

Best regards,
Claudio Salvio
horst.epp

Re: [RFE] Add an option to sort Everything.ini entries in ascending order when saving it

Post by horst.epp »

Ini file handling is a Windows API and I guess David is using it.
therube

Re: [RFE] Add an option to sort Everything.ini entries in ascending order when saving it

Post by therube »

(You could keep existing Everything.ini format, but simply sort it, outputting it into dated "backups" even, for comparison purposes.

sort Everything.ini > esort.ini
sort Everything.ini > esort.%date.time%.ini

How To Create Filename with Date Time in Windows Batch Script)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I need to rewrite the settings in Everything 1.5 for group policy support.

I will consider an option to alphabetical sort the ini settings during this rewrite.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Currently, the ini settings are grouped into general, search, view, DB, UI, keys, colors, etc..

Everything does not use the Windows API to save/load the Everything.ini as it doesn't support UTF-8.