Shortcut that opens everything to top most explorer window

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
everysdk

Shortcut that opens everything to top most explorer window

Post by everysdk »

Hi! I have a suggestion. I often find myself in the need to filter only in a specific folder for some files that are extremely common on the system. There is the explorer context menu "Search Everything ..." that does that, however I tend to use the keyboard more than the mouse.
Could a keyboard shortcut be implemented that when triggered looks for the topmost explorer window and if visible opens the Everything window to the extracted path? If there is any need I could help!
Thank you!
NotNull

Re: Shortcut that opens everything to top most explorer window

Post by NotNull »

That option is already implemented :)

To activate it, type the following in the search bar and press ENTER

Code: Select all

/hotkey_explorer_path_search=1
The result of that will be shown in the statusbar for a couple of seconds
Everything Help wrote: hotkey_explorer_path_search

Set the search to the current path in Windows Explorer when opening Everything from a hotkey.

Set to 1 to enable. Set to 0 to disable.

That is the first part. To define a hotkey:
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Keyboard
  • In the Show Window Hotkey filed, type the desired keyboard shortcut (let's say SHIFT + ALT + SPACE)
  • Click OK to save settings
  • Done
Now press SHIFT + ALT + SPACE in File Explorer.

Instead of Show Window Hotkey, you can also use the other two. Hover the inputfieleds to get more explanation.
everysdk

Post by everysdk »

I feel like I should hide my head in the sand :shock: . Where can I find a list of implemented features ? I see that these are text options and don't appear in the GUI.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No worries ... there are *a lot* of extra options that do not fit in the Options GUI.
They are specified in Everything.ini. Description of those entries can be found here.

But wait ... there's more!!
I assume you currently use Everything 1.4? The alpha version of Everything 1.5 is already available for testing (quite stable already, I must say).
And that version has even more options and settings. Lots more!

Tip: Don't hide your head in the sand. The view is terrible :D
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

The /hotkey_explorer_path_search=1 setting should really become a GUI checkbox in the Options -> General -> Keyboard tab, at this point. It's very popular and people are always very excited when they discover it. I could not enjoy Everything without it if it were suddenly removed.

(I use the Pause key as my toggle hotkey, as it's right next to my mouse.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will trial making hotkey_explorer_path_search enabled by default.

Thanks for the suggestion.

hotkey_explorer_path_search
Everything 1.5 ini settings
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

What are your thoughts on documentation, @void? Should Everything ship with a .chm file, like AutoHotkey, or are those things dead? Is there a good way to serve markdown files, or just include an .html and .md.txt file with the installer? pdf?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The Everything.chm file is quite large (1.2MB).

To keep Everything slim I would like to use online help, with the option to download a chm/html/pdf file.

Everything 1.4 has a downloadable chm/html/pdf file:

chm offline help
html offline help
PDF offline help

The current plan is to do the same for Everything 1.5.
void
Developer

Post by void »

hotkey_explorer_path_search is now enabled by default in fresh installs of Everything 1.5.0.1301a.

I have also added support for the Open Filename and Save Filename dialogs.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

void wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:40 am I have also added support for the Open Filename and Save Filename dialogs.
nice!

(wish phpBB had a Like button)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

void wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:40 am I have also added support for the Open Filename and Save Filename dialogs.
How to get that function in such dialogs ?
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

@horse.epp, enable /hotkey_explorer_path_search=1 and set a New/Show/Toggle Hotkey from Options -> General -> Keyboard. Use of the hotkey within Windows Explorer and Open/Save dialogs will beckon Everything to the dialog's current path.

Everything64_MbzlrL5d1A.png
Everything64_MbzlrL5d1A.png (33.35 KiB) Viewed 6173 times
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

raccoon wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:28 pm @horse.epp, enable /hotkey_explorer_path_search=1 and set a New/Show/Toggle Hotkey from Options -> General -> Keyboard. Use of the hotkey within Windows Explorer and Open/Save dialogs will beckon Everything to the dialog's current path.
Thanks, that works but unfortunately only in Windows Explorer.

Also I'm searching for the other direction.

If in an Open/Save dialog there should be a hotkey which starts Everything
and changes the path in this dialogs to whatever I'm select in Everything.
I can do this already indirectly thru my file managers (Total Commander and XYplorer)
using the Quick Switch AHK tool from Notnul or my Listary installation.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

For me, it does this as of last night's 1301 alpha release. Have you updated? Is your AHK script interfering?
The same hotkey that works in Windows Explorer also works in Open/Save dialogs. No additional hotkeys are needed.

If you want Everything send instructions *to* the Open/Save dialog, I'm not sure what that would look like, or what that would accomplish.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

raccoon wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:33 pm For me, it does this as of last night's 1301 alpha release. Have you updated? Is your AHK script interfering?
The same hotkey that works in Windows Explorer also works in Open/Save dialogs. No additional hotkeys are needed.

If you want Everything send instructions *to* the Open/Save dialog, I'm not sure what that would look like, or what that would accomplish.
I have updated of course :)
What I want is that Everything should change the Location or file name fields in an Open/Save dialog.

There is no conflict with my scripts they are not running automatically.
While in a Explorer window the hotkey opens Everything with the path from Explorer.
Using this hotkey in any open/save dialog from an editor just opens a normal Everything windows
with nothing set from this current dialog.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

horst.epp wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:48 pm What I want is that Everything should change the Location or file name fields in an Open/Save dialog.
The current (intended) behavior is to navigate Everything to the Open/Save dialog path (this works for me in Windows 7), allowing you to type additional search keywords and sorting to locate a file or folder object of interest. Once located, select the object and select Copy Full Path to Clipboard. Paste the full path to the "File name:" field in the Open/Save dialog and hit Enter.

Maybe @void will streamline this process somehow, but I don't have ideas. Everything doesn't "know" that it was beckoned from an Explorer Window or Common Dialog.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Are you disabling breadcrumbs? Everything is looking for this control to grab the current path for the common open/save dialogs.

I'll add some debug information to the next alpha update to working out where it's getting stuck..
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1302a adds debug information when pressing the hotkey from an open/save dialog.

What is shown in the debug logs when you press a hotkey from an open/save dialog:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Start Debug Logging.
  • Fire up Notepad, and from the File menu, click Save As or Open.
  • Press your Everything Hotkey.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop Debug Logging.
  • This will open up your Everything debug log in Notepad.