Keep offline volumes in the index after "Force Rebuild"

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
shawn8888

Keep offline volumes in the index after "Force Rebuild"

Post by shawn8888 »

I love the new feature that you can add folders such as network share folders. I also love the option "keep_missing_indexes=1", which will keep the index even if they are offline.

However, sometimes I can't find the files on the online disk, and I have to hit the "Force Rebuild" button to find the missing files. And the offline volumes files are GONE after I do that.

Is it possible to add a new option to keep the offline volumes after "Force Rebuild"?

Thanks a lot!
shawn8888

Re: Keep offline volumes in the index after "Force Rebuild"

Post by shawn8888 »

OK, if this is hard, how about rebuild one drive only?
Currently, you have to rebuild all drives at one time when press "Force Rebuild" button.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

shawn8888 wrote: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 am OK, if this is hard, how about rebuild one drive only?
Currently, you have to rebuild all drives at one time when press "Force Rebuild" button.
I need to refresh and join the thread because (1) I cannot seem to have found advice relative to my installation and ET Use, and I feel quite lost when, for instance, I read of "keep_missing_indexes" in the ini file, while my ini file does not have any such entry at all.

My situation and problem is as follows:
1) I am using a portable 64bit Everything, version 1.5.0.1275a (x64) under Windows 10 on a 64-bit PC;
2) I have more than dozen huge data NTFS USB hard discs (1 – 3 TB);
3) It would be technically unreasonable (if at all feasible) to have all the USB discs attached to my PC at a time;
4) I would be happy to be able to search all my disc resources with Everything at a time, but it seems impossible because when I unattach an indexed disc, then close and – say – on the next day – open ET the records related to that unattached disc disapear from the file list when ET searches and sorts recods of files from volumes actually attached to the PC;
5) With reference to certain statements in this threat I need to say:
a) that in the "Indexes" section of the ET options I have only one button "Force Rebuild" with no choice to rebuild the index of a single, selected disc. After I klick on the button, ET starts rebuilding indexes of files from volumes actually attached to the PC whilst all the records related to volumes then are not attached to my PC at that time disappear and all I see on the file list are only letters (e.g. V:, J: etc.) identifying all the off-line volumes, i.e. the volumes that were attached to my PC and indexed by ET at any time in the past;
b) that I have not found an entry: "keep_missing_indexes" in the ini file;
c) the option "authomatically remove off-line volumes" in the ET options is not checked.

My request is: will you be so kind as to advice what settings in the ET options and/or the ini file should be set and applied to keep all entries related to off-line volumes and to prevent them from disappearing from the list when the volume goes off-line.

Needless to say I reiterate again that the ET is a great, great software actually indispensable for a computer user who needs to operate on a large number of files and many volumes. Thanks for your effort and excellent customer service always kind and responsive. :)
Best regards, Marek
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You can disable the Automatically remove offline volumes setting (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS).

That way off-line NTFS volumes will stay in Everything's index.