Duplicate Finder

General discussion related to "Everything".
gazmoz17

Duplicate Finder

Post by gazmoz17 »

Hi, I’ve found a load of topics on the above however there all quite old that I’ve found.

Can Everything do this or am I better using independent software?

Started using SearchMyFiles today purely for duplicate stand alone function. Still use Everything for general searching…I’m only a beginner user.

Mostly want to find duplicates on my OneDrive which is a minefield of duplicates.

Many Thanks
raccoon

Re: Duplicate Finder

Post by raccoon »

Duplicate finding is kind of like one of those personal journeys that people have been taking for thousands of years, whether to find spiritual peace, zen, nirvana or the divine.

There are a few different definitions of what a duplicate file is, depending on your criteria. Any file with the same content? Same name and content? Anything with the same name but keep only the largest file, or the newest file? What about structured directory folders that hold complete collections, do you really want individual files deleted from them making them become incomplete collections?

Because of this, it's also hard to recommend any particular tool, since they all take different approaches to these questions. I kind of like DupeGuru with its ability to define Normal Folders, Reference Folders and Exclusion Folders to help us decide which folders are off limits from file deletion, but which should still be used to locate the presence of files as duplicates. But that program is old, riddled with bugs and hardly works if you have many thousands of files. Everything can approximate this task once you get the hang of it.

There are 3 or 4 new forum thread discussions about Duplicate finding from the past 2-5 weeks on this forum. It's been a very hot topic of late, and lots of new developments and improvements to duplicate finding added to Everything 1.5 Alpha in just the past couple weeks. With every thread, something new has been added, changed, and changed again, so even things I wrote 5 weeks ago are no longer true today.

Are you using the Alpha version of Everything? Have you explored any of those other forum threads? Do you have an idea of what a duplicate file looks like? Does it have a shape and form in your mind? Are you ready to take on such a journey?