Add multi EFU load feature

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
SantinX

Add multi EFU load feature

Post by SantinX »

Hi guys,

so I'am using the "Everything" tool since many years already and its really one of the best and useful tools ever.Thank you. :)

Now lets talk about the suggestion/s I have.I'am also one of those user who having datas stored on diffrent hard drives over the years and I don't have connected them.In normal case I have created a EFU file for all of them before I removed the drive/s to have a list of all files/infos which I can check to find any files/s etc.Very good so far and really a must have feature of course but there is a little problem when trying to check ALL EFU files to find any specific file named XY.In this case I have to load & check every single EFU file one by one and this is pretty bad when you have more than 5 (or much more).I would like to have any function/feature to load all EFU files I have at once to get a overview of all files and having the possibility to find any file I want straight without doing that manually loading steps anymore.Maybe you will say now its not possible because to load more than one EFU file into the app window etc.In this case I would like to suggest to create a more handy feature to load EFU files.The goal is to have a option/method to load any EFU file handy & quickly (one mouse press if possible).

Idea: So what do you think about to add small icons above or under search bar.Each icon does load one specific set EFU file the user did set/choose path for it before.Or what about setting some kind of EFU bookmarks into the menu?Maybe something like that or maybe you or anyone else has some better ideas for this.I think it should be clear what I would like to say and what I wish to have.Just tell me/us whether its possible to create any new function to handle multible EFU files at once or quicker or otherwise you have any alternative suggestion etc.Thank you.
NotNull

Re: Add multi EFU load feature

Post by NotNull »

A couple of options that come to mind:

1. Keep your off-line disks in the database
When you disable Automatically remove offline volumes (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS), your NTFS formatted disks will stay in the database, even when off-line.
Non-NTFS disks can be added under Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders and will automatically stay in the database, even when off-line

2. Add all your EFU-lists to the database
Tou can add all your EFU lists permanent to the database under Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > File Lists.
TIP1: Put all of them together in one folder and select them all and add them in one go.
TIP2: Add the at File List Filename column to see which EFU file they came from, which should give you a good indication which disk the file is on (if you gave the EFU files a sensible name)

3. Use MasterEFU
See this link
SantinX

Post by SantinX »

Hi,

thank you for this great info NotNull. :) I have not seen that before or checked this option more in detail (sorry) but now I did and it seems to work as I wanted.Just adding all of my EFU files and enable Name of Filename column does the magic.Great!Ok, so this is really pretty cool now to check all EFU's at once.So now I have a little another question about how to enable/disable the specific EFU filenames in the search bar.Normaly when just checking the hard-drive/s seperated I just use the drive letter like c: or d: only to check that one entire drive.Now in this new situation I have added all EFU files permanently and maybe need to do some seperated searchings on one specific EFU or 2 etc you know.So how can I handle this now?

Example: At the moment I have just added 2 EFU files for testing.Now both EFU files was created with the same drive letter which was in my case the D:\ letter.I get all files of both EFU's to see + my actually connected HDDs which using C:\ & G:\.So to disable any letter I can use the "!" sign = !c: to exculde the C drive or !c: !g: to exculde both c & g drive.Now in this case I have disabled my actually connected C & G drives and get just the 2 EFU files content to see.The problem now is that both using the drive letter D:\.How to make a seperate view now?I can not use a drive letter to exclude so I need to exclude by the "Name of EFU" somehow.You know what I mean right.I can not do anything like "!MyData1.efu" or something right.How to exclude specific EFU files in the search bar?Is that anyhow also possible?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

As said, you can add a File List FileName Column by right-clicking the resultlist header and selecting that option.
In that column the name of the EFU will be shown.

If you want only results of one specific EFU file, let's say abc.efu, search for
filelistfilename:abc.efu
Use double quotes if the efu filename conatins a space:
filelistfilename:"My First.efu"

If you want ALL EFU's to be shown, without your 'normal' entries, use
filelistfilename:*.efu

A picture (see the last column):
2022-01-08 00_57_52-Everything 1.4.1.1009 (x64).png
2022-01-08 00_57_52-Everything 1.4.1.1009 (x64).png (50.47 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
SantinX

Post by SantinX »

Yes, thats what I needed to know NotNull. :) I just did miss that "filelistfilename" parameter and to handle it like a drive letter but now I see it and it works smoothly.Just wonderful.Thank you again very much for your help and showing me how to manage it NotNull.

PS: Is there also a smaller shortcut command for "filelistfilename"?Just asking.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Consider creating a filter macro for a shorter filelistfilename: search command:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to: File List Filename
  • Change the Search to: filelistfilename:search:
  • Change the Macro to: fl<search>
  • Click OK.
Now, instead of typing in filelistfilename: you can simply type fl:
SantinX

Post by SantinX »

Hello void,

thats also a great info for me to know.It works very well to create and using this shorter macro now.The good thing I see is that I don't need to write any complete EFU filename and just can use some few letters which I used for my EFU files.Pretty good.Thanks again.

I have another small question about using EFU files & export them.So I see in the normal Everything versions are used some basic file info columns I can enable/disable (13) and it only does export the basic "Filename,Size,Date Modified,Date Created,Attributes" file parameters.Normaly all of those paramters should be used by any file right?Now, I found some issues when loading my EFU file/s in Everything or checking it into editor and see that for example wasn't saved the "Date Created" paramters for many files.So in this columns all is empty.Normaly every file has a creation date of course but somehow the Everything tools did not export it for all files.In EFU files I get this to see for many files...

Code: Select all

"D:\testfile.raw",375349138,132467601608117291,,0
...there are missing values.All other values are there and filled with datas except that "Date Created" paramter makes trouble.I have checked all of my EFU files I have created in the past till today and all of them having that issues.Must be a bug so I think.In one if my latest created EFU files I get only the creation date of 36 files to see of 3392 files.Why?In a other older EFU I just get the creatin date of 56 files to see of over 27.000 files.So I'am pretty sure that it must be bug because all other paramters getting exported/shown correctly.Maybe you can check this out and confirm the problem or maybe I did anything wrong etc so that you can tell me what I was doing wrong if so.Thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That can happen if the 'Date Created' information is not in the database. Default only what is indexed will be exported.

You can either :
- add it to the database (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes : enable Index date created

or:

- Make sure the 'Date Created' column is shown
- Select all files (CTRL+A)
- Press CTRL+E (or Menu:File > Read Extended Information )
- Wait until the progress bar disappears (it's in the statusbar)
- Export your results to an EFU file

Note:
Indexed Properties (Menu:File > Options > Indexes > Properties ) are currently not exported to EFU files. They *are* exported to CSV files.