How to save a search results custom file list layout?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
mczerski

How to save a search results custom file list layout?

Post by mczerski »

I need to modify the layout of the search results and I successully managed to add new columns according to your guidelines as set in "Organize Columns" and "Add Columns". I did not find (or I may have overlooked) an option to save the custom layout and eventually – after I closed and re-opened Everything it occurred that your software failed to save and remember my custom layout. I tried to customize the view a few times more but to no avail. Your advice how to overcome the problem will be welcome.
Before I wrote this message I tried to search the forum to find a reply in a similar thread, but I did not find any.
Regards
Marek
NotNull

Re: How to save a search results custom file list layout?

Post by NotNull »

Assuming you are using Everything 1.4 (answer is slightly different for version 1.5):

Usually, the position and width of column should be automatically saved.
The colums settings are stored in Everything.ini ( name_column_pos=0, etc) so the first thing that comes to (my) mind is that Everything is unable to save it's settings in the ini.

Do you have Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything enabled under Menu:Tools > Options > General ?
Otherwise Everything will store it's settings in the same folder as the one where your Everything.exe is (for example c:\Program Files).
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thank you, NotNull for your remarks!
Sorry that I was so absent-minded that I failed to report my ET version. Actually, I am using Everythinhg 1.5a.
My problem is not that I want to change the width of a specific column. What I want to do is to ADD new columns (such as "extension") which are simply non–existent in standard layout).
I will try to modify the ini file. I presume that the column name in the ini file should follow the naming convention as shown in the list of columns displayed by ET in the Add Columnt tab. I will get back to report if your advice occurred effective in my case.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No need for editing the ini file by hand.

In Everything 1.5, you can define the columns per filter or bookmark.
Go to Menu:Search > Organize Filters and check how you defined your Column settings.
Also: Check your column settings under Menu:Tools > Options > General > Home.

Topic moved to the Everything 1.5 Alpha forum.