Portable Standalone

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
InfoR3aper

Portable Standalone

Post by InfoR3aper »

I have been using Everything for years and I love it. There is one feature I would love even more

It would be great to have a portable version which indexes whatever you tell it, when finished the ability to FREEZE that data in place.

Imagine this scenario.
You have 20 external backup drives.

You want to index each drive Freeze the data once complete, close the app, disconnect the drive.

Then start that Portable up and still be able to see and search what was on that drive without connecting it.

I imagine it 1 of 2 ways.

Each Drive I want to have an "archive" Everything portable of, I simply create folders similar to this..

F:\Portables\Everything\Drive-A
F:\Portables\Everything\Drive-B
F:\Portables\Everything\Backup-1
F:\Portables\Everything\Pics-01
F:\Portables\Everything\Pics-02

Inside each folder is a portable everything, so I simply pull up the everything I want to view the data on.

The Other option which I think is more complicated would be have option inside Everything Portable to select which DB I wanted to view

Another very important issue is being able to say modify EveryThing DB tables for a portable version.

Right now I have over 10TB of files that do nothing but supply an "index" so to speak of files on my network, plus links to files on the internet.

The internet file listing is setup very similar to Everything's index, but I could if needed fix them to mirror Everything's DB setup and import them somehow.

Basically the idea I am presenting is to make a portable version that is far more flexible to a users specific needs.

But most importantly where they can freeze or have different "snapshots" etc
void
Developer

Re: Portable Standalone

Post by void »

Please try file lists to create a snap shot of your indexes.