Allow Folders to be included with video or picture search

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
wkearney99

Allow Folders to be included with video or picture search

Post by wkearney99 »

There's times when searching I want to limit to a set of file type extensions, but also want to include folder names.

As in, pictures or videos that might also being in folders with names useful in the search. "Beach" and find both filenames of pictures with that in it, and folders using that as part of a name for albums.

Is there a way to do a filter on both folder: and ext: types? Or should I take another approach?
Mizufluffy

Re: Allow Folders to be included with video or picture search

Post by Mizufluffy »

If I understood this correctly, you want to search for word "beach" from folder names but also from file names that have a certain extension? In that case you can do something like this:

Code: Select all

<folder: | ext:jpg;png;mp4> beach
In the first part, <folder: | ext:jpg;png;mp4>, there is a group and OR with two search terms. This means it searches for folders OR files with jpg, png or mp4 extensions. After these there is word "beach". Because of grouping the previous together, this word is being used for both search terms in the group and it's same as searching for

Code: Select all

folder: beach | ext:jpg;png;mp4 beach 
assuming operator precedence in the settings is AND > OR. Anyway, that search looks for word "beach" from folder names but also from files that with listed extensions.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

<folder:|pic:|video:> beach
wkearney99

Post by wkearney99 »

Is it possible to use the "<folder: | ext:jpg;png;mp4>" syntax as a Filter, like the default ones already set up?

I use this often enough that it'd be handy to allow using the search box alone for the text and the filter to limit results to just certain filetypes AND folder names.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Yes. Just create a new filter.
void
Developer

Post by void »

• From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Change the Name to:
    Folder, Video or Picture
  • Change the Search to:
    <folder: | ext:jpg;png;mp4>
  • Click OK.
wkearney99

Post by wkearney99 »

Ok, following those steps it worked.

I had been going through the Organize Filters dialog and typed the string into the Search box, and it wasn't working. I must've mistyped it or something. Odd.

Works now though, thanks!