Application Launch Delay in v1.5x vs v1.4 ??

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Mrantala

Application Launch Delay in v1.5x vs v1.4 ??

Post by Mrantala »

Note: Running versions 1.4.1.1009 and 1.5.0.1281a (x64)
Note2: The timer used here isn't scientific - just me counting seconds, so slight errors are possible ! That said, I did this test about 10 times in each version, with same file, same conditions, and got basically the same results.

Repeatable Testing Scenario: The time in question here is the time between double clicking a video file in the results window to when the video player actually is launched and begins playing. I started to get the feeling that it was taking noticeably longer in V1.5x than what it used to when using v1.4x. From my crude timing tests here, it seems that is the case and that there is about a 4 second or so difference. I can't say for certain if it's been this way all along with v1.5x, but I'd guess that it has been. I tested the same file, same network location for that file, basically everything the same except for the version of Everything. About 10 tests with the same 4 sec delay to playing the video. I use KMPlayer as my video player. Maybe there's a setting that I have different between the two, but I wasn't able to identify what it might be.

To help triage and maybe prove me crazy, I created debug logs and clipped those logs to the relevant entries for this test. Both logs start at the double click of the video file, but they quickly differ after that. Hope those are helpful.

Anything I can do here to test, let me know. Thanks !
PS Only way I could get .txt files attached were to ZIP them up.
Last edited by Mrantala on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Application Launch Delay in v1.5x vs v1.4 ??

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report and debug logs.
I'm unable to determine the issue from the logs.

Everything 1.5 invokes the default context menu item to execute files.
Everything 1.4 calls ShellExecute.

Could you please confirm, the issue only occurs for video files? what about other files? eg: txt or jpg files?

Please make sure Everything 1.5 is running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Uncheck Run as administrator. (Please make sure this is not tick-checked OR square-checked)
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

If the issue persists, please try disabling shell_execute_invoke_id_list:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /shell_execute_invoke_id_list=0
    (where 0 is off and 1 is on, 1 is the default)
  • If successful, shell_execute_invoke_id_list=0 is shown in the statusbar for a few seconds.

If the issue persists, please try disabling shell_execute_id_list:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /shell_execute_id_list=0
    (where 0 is off and 1 is on, 1 is the default)
  • If successful, shell_execute_id_list=0 is shown in the statusbar for a few seconds.

If the issue persists, please send another debug log:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Start Debug logging.
  • Open a video file
    ---wait for the video file to open.---
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Stop Debug logging.
    ---this will open your debug log in your text editor.---
  • Please send this file to support@voidtools.com

shell_execute_invoke_id_list
shell_execute_id_list
Mrantala

Post by Mrantala »

Well, you made quick work of that one !! Version 1.5 was running the service, but it was running as admin as well. I unchecked the admin box, restarted the app, and KMplayer starts without that delay. Same timings as v1.4 had. Pretty fast considering these particular files are on the network NAS. Any video files that are mapped on a local drive, and the video starts in under 1.5 secs - real fast! I always try to learn a bit from the solutions, and carry that forward with me. So, venturing a guess here as to the cause of the additional delay ....I'd say it was because of the overhead created by having to add the instructions to function/procedure calls to run x, y and z as admin and not just being able to run x, y and z functions. Would that be fair guess ?
Thanks again,
Matt R.
void
Developer

Post by void »

It could be an User Interface Privilege Isolation issue:

Admin UIs do not like to talk to non-admin UIs. (and vise versa)

KMplayer will start as an admin from Everything also running as an admin.
KMplayer will try to find the existing process.
If found, it will try to negotiate the command line arguments to the existing process.
This will likely hang and timeout due to User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI).

The delay could be caused by loading different settings from the registry or file (as the administrator user).