Threaded Folder indexing

General discussion related to "Everything".
Shooter3k

Threaded Folder indexing

Post by Shooter3k »

Maybe I'm missing it but is there an option to scan more than one 'folder' that's been added for indexing? I can only seem to get it to index one at a time

Thanks for any help you're able to offer
void
Developer

Re: Threaded Folder indexing

Post by void »

Everything 1.4 will index all your folders in a single thread.
Everything 1.4 will index your folders one at a time.

Are the folders spread over different devices? are they all network shares?

Everything 1.5 will support multiple threads for SSDs and a single thread for each device.
Everything 1.5 will still treat all network shares as a single device by default. see folder_multithreaded to override.

Also see maximum indexing threads in Everything 1.5.

Everything is designed to index only once.

If Everything is constantly reindexing, please make sure Everything is installed correctly:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
If Everything is still constantly reindexing, please let me know
Shooter3k

Post by Shooter3k »

I'm doing scans of a bunch of network paths that I've added as "folders" so that I can control how often they are rescanned.

The documentation for "folder_multithreaded" isn't clear if the "default" is "multiple threads" or if that has to be set.

tldr; Is there any way to scan with more threads on network drives? It scans for days because of how slow a single thread on our network is......however, if I'm able to thread it with dozens or even hundreds of threads (in other applications), it can speed up dramatically
void
Developer

Post by void »

The documentation for "folder_multithreaded" isn't clear if the "default" is "multiple threads" or if that has to be set.
Thanks for the letting me know the folder_multithreaded help was not very clear.

folder_multithreaded is set to 0 by default.

When set to 0, Everything will:
Use multiple threads for devices that do not incur a seek penalty. (Network shares do incur a seek penalty. Most SSDs do not)
Otherwise, use a single thread for each unique device.

You can override this setting by forcing multiple threads (1), or a single thread (2).
You may wish to use folder_multithreaded=1 to force multiple threads.

Everything will only use multiple threads to read properties.

Everything only uses a single thread for indexing/scanning.
Please consider breaking the network index up into more folders and enabling folder_multithreaded=1 for each folder index:

For example, instead of indexing \\server\share, index \\server\share\folder1 and \\server\share\folder2 and \\server\share\folder3 and \\server\share\folder4 etc...
Enable folder_multithreaded=1 for each folder index in the Everything.ini (save and exit Everything before changing).
This way Everything will use a separate thread for each folder.
Borgholio

Post by Borgholio »

When setting folder_multithreaded=1, it does indeed use a separate thread and makes the initial scan of network drives much faster. But when I use the "rescan all" button in the options, it still only uses a single thread to do the scan and update. Is there another option that affects this? Thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, no.
I will put this on my TODO list.
Thank you for the suggestion.