Ability to drill down within Everything?

General discussion related to "Everything".
tomgoodell

Ability to drill down within Everything?

Post by tomgoodell »

I'm brand new to Everything and already loving it. I've been digging around on the forums and the documentation and the menus but can't find the ability to drill down into a drive or folder within Everything, and am wondering if this is possible. What I am experiencing is that double clicking on anything in the results lists opens that drive, folder, or file in Explorer (actually Directory Opus, my Explorer replacement). I'd like to be able to double click on a drive or folder and have the Results window then show just the contents of that drive or folder. Is there any way to do that?
void
Developer

Re: Ability to drill down within Everything?

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback tomgoodell,

To limit your search to a single drive, simply search for the drive letter followed by a colon, for example:

c:

To exclude a single drive, prefix the drive with the NOT operator !
For example, exclude results on the D: drive:

!d:

To search multiple drives, use the OR operator |
For example, search the E: or F: drive:

e:|f:

To limit your search to a folder, search for the folder with a trailing backslash, for example:

c:\windows\
"c:\Program Files\"

-use double quotes to escape spaces.

Alternatively, please try the Advanced Search under the Search menu and fill in the located in field.

I'd like to be able to double click on a drive or folder and have the Results window then show just the contents of that drive or folder. Is there any way to do that?
Copy folder to the clipboard and paste into the Everything search box.

-or-

Enable drag-drop the folder onto the search box after enabling search_edit_drag_accept_files:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /search_edit_drag_accept_files=1
  • If successful, search_edit_drag_accept_files=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • Drag-drop a folder onto Everything search box.
-or-

Enable Show "Search Everything" folder context menu item and right click the folder and select Search Everything:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Show "Search Everything" folder context menu item.
  • Right click a folder in Everything or in Windows Explorer and click Search Everything...
tomgoodell

Post by tomgoodell »

Thank you! This is super helpful.

I did try copying and pasting /search_edit_drag_accept_files=1 into the search bar and pressing enter, but when I pressed enter it just highlighted what I had pasted and nothing happened, so that was not successful. However, turning on "Search Everything" folder context menu item did, so I can drill down that way.
void
Developer

Post by void »

If Everything selects the /search_edit_drag_accept_files=1 text, that is also an indication of success.

Can you drag-drop folders onto the search box?
tomgoodell

Post by tomgoodell »

That does work, thanks! Still on the learning curve but so impressed with this utility ... I'd been looking for something like for a long time.