Restricted user and 7 zip

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Restricted user and 7 zip

Post by harryray2 »

Couple of quick questions...

Can I run everything from a USB stick on a PC that is restricted user, would I have to copy Everything on to the PC if the USB can't be written to?

I may have asked this before (can't remember) but will Everything support 7zip files and do you have plans to include full text searches (grep) within files?

Thanks.
void
Developer

Re: Restricted user and 7 zip

Post by void »

You can run Everything as a limited user.

However, you will need to index NTFS volumes as a folder index from Tools -> Options -> Folders.

When launching Everything as a limited user for the first time, please choose the "Do not index NTFS volumes" option when prompted.

You can run Everything.exe from the USB disk.
If you are using the portable version of Everything, settings and data are stored in the same location as Everything.
(this can be changed from within Everything under Tools -> Options -> General -> Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything)

You may wish to enable "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything", which you would have to do from a PC with write permission to the USB disk.

Copy Everything.exe locally if you are having write permission issues.

Support for 7zip is on my TODO list.
Support will be added to the container-file-name: search function.
This would support searching for filenames inside 7zip files only.
Full content searching might be added in a future release of Everything.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, I meant to mention RAR but I assume that will be as well. A full content search within files and archived files would be incredibly useful...

In case I can't copy Everything to the PC is it possible to run so that nothing is written to Everything? I know how to stop the database being written but are things just written on exit or while the programme is running?
void
Developer

Post by void »

RAR is also on my TODO list.

> In case I can't copy Everything to the PC is it possible to run so that nothing is written to Everything?

you will need to make your Everything.ini read-only.
When the Everything.ini is read-only your settings are no longer saved to disk.

You will also need to launch Everything with the -no-db command line option:
Everything.exe -no-db
-with the -no-db command option, Everything will no longer save the index to disk.

Everything will still try to write your search history, run history, filters and bookmarks to disk.
However, these will fail silently.

Settings and data is normally saved to disk when you close an Everything search window or exit Everything.
If you don't set the Everything.ini as read-only, Everything will show a warning when you exit that it is unable to save settings.

You can use the -config <Everything.ini> command line option to suppress this warning.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You want to use IndexThis for that?

Depends on your use case, but there are options ...
Please describe the way you are going to use this, so I can tailor IndexThis to that specific case.

Be aware that an entry has to be added to (the restricted-user part of) the registry in all cases.

(BTW: How do you want to put Everything on a read-only USB stick?)
therube

Post by therube »

Stick itself is read-write, but once you flip the (dip) switch, it becomes read-only.
(I have one, like that.)