Finding misspelled file names with Everything

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Joelmo

Finding misspelled file names with Everything

Post by Joelmo »

In the last years it often happened that I misspelled a file name when I was in stress.
In the meantime there are some thousand. I hope I´m not the only one ;-)

I`m wondering if there is a way to directly find misspelled filenames with Everything, for example by highlighting them like normal search terms.

Until now I used to export the files names from a harddrive *.* as an *.efu file, then converted it to a txt file, which I could then import into Excel, where I could run a spell check. Unfortunately Excel did not mark the single misspelled words, but the whole row.
Maybe there is someone who has a brilliant idea for this.
Thanks to all

Many thanks to all
therube

Re: Finding misspelled file names with Everything

Post by therube »

Command-line spell check.
Throw your file names to a file (like an .efu, but you'd want only the name itself).
Throw a command-line spell checker on it.
(Not sure how to tell you to do that, right off?)

Something like, ASpell for Windows.
You'd need the installer.
And also the dictionary(ies).

Then something like...
aspell.exe -c mylistofnames.TXT

That would bring up a GUI, which might work for you?
(For me, a bit awkward.)

And there should be a method to (I'll say, "simply") get a listing of miss-spelled ;-) words?
Joelmo

Post by Joelmo »

Hi therube,
thank you very much for the quick reply. I will try it out ...

On the other side it would be great if it would be integrated in Everything like it is in EmEditor. I think it would save a lot of time for many. ;-)

Thanks a lot
Joelmo
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That is something that you can try too:
Export your results as plain text file (Save as type: Text Files (*.txt)) and open that .txt file in emEditor. Or MS Word or ...

BTW: How do you want to handle multiple languages? Or are your filenamess in one single language?
Joelmo

Post by Joelmo »

Hi NotNull,

this is funny ... I tried this yesterday evening ... and it worked. I exportet the file name list as an efu list, copied and
saved it as an txt file and opened it in emEditor. And it was the first time I worked with. But there ... I didnt know how to seperate rows with red underlined misspelled words from rows where there was none. :(

Another idea was to create from all file names a list with single words with misspelled and correctly spelled words and extract
a list only with misspelld words.

I am not sure ... I think that in a previous version of Everything it was possible to import such a list of search terms. But in version 1.4.1.935 I work with, this is apparently not possible or am I wrong ?
Joelmo

Post by Joelmo »

Hello NotNull,
that's funny ... I tried this last night. I exported all the file names of a external harddrive as an efu file, opened it, copied it and saved it as a txt file. I opened than this file with emEditor and ran a spell check.

This worked quite well. However, I had the problem separating the red underlined words from the correctly spelled ones. I could have then imported this list of file names with the misspelled words via an efu file back into Everything. There I would have improved every single spelling error. Less work, because the correctly spelled file names would have been removed.

To your question ... I think it only makes sense to include the Custom.dic from Microsoft Office in any form, because probably everyone has entered technical terms there with expressions in different languages.

Another idea is to create a word list with single words from all the file names on the harddrive, extract the misspelled words, and import them into Everything as a search list.

I'm not sure ... but I think I saw that importing a list with search terms was possible in an earlier version of Everything, or am I wrong?

I'm using Everything version 1.4.1.935 and it doesn't seem to be possible there.

Greetings to all
Joelmo