Is 1.5 safe to be used?

General discussion related to "Everything".
vsub

Is 1.5 safe to be used?

Post by vsub »

Because it's still in alpha stages,if the only thing I do in everything is to search files,is it safe to switch to it or I will be missing 1.4(1.4.1.1005)features.
Or should I wait for an official version(1.5 have some nice features and it feels like I am missing out while still using 1.4)
therube

Re: Is 1.5 safe to be used?

Post by therube »

It's fine. It's great, IMHO.

Use whatever you're comfortable with.
froggie

Post by froggie »

Use it.

It is a remarkable program. Very few bugs for an alpha release, and those that have been discovered have been fixed quickly.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

vsub wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:26 pm Because it's still in alpha stages,if the only thing I do in everything is to search files,is it safe to switch to it or I will be missing 1.4(1.4.1.1005)features.
Or should I wait for an official version(1.5 have some nice features and it feels like I am missing out while still using 1.4)
What is the risk if you are only search with it ?
I changed directly from the 1.4 to the 1.5 and had no serious problems.
vsub

Post by vsub »

horst.epp wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 pm What is the risk if you are only search with it ?
I don't know,that's why I am asking
Sometimes I am deleting files and folders
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

vsub wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:43 pm
horst.epp wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 pm What is the risk if you are only search with it ?
I don't know,that's why I am asking
Sometimes I am deleting files and folders
For file managment I use Total Commander which is fully integrated with Everything search.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

horst.epp
there are numerous situations (hundreds of them every month) when it's much more convenient
to rename a folder/file (very often in my case)
or
to delete a folder/file (quite rarely)
or even
to move a folder/file (very rarely)
using the ET only, without loading/opening of a file management program (i use xyplorer, since 2018)

both panes of xyplorer are often occupied by some current work (in left pane) and by some long-term work (in right pane)
the right pane is usually stored/displayed in a special view mode called 'branch view' (probably the best feature of a program)
so there are moments when it is much easier to do some (more or less quick) file management action in ET, not in XY
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

adamantine wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 pm horst.epp
there are numerous situations (hundreds of them every month) when it's much more convenient
to rename a folder/file (very often in my case)
or
to delete a folder/file (quite rarely)
or even
to move a folder/file (very rarely)
using the ET only, without loading/opening of a file management program (i use xyplorer, since 2018)

both panes of xyplorer are often occupied by some current work (in left pane) and by some long-term work (in right pane)
the right pane is usually stored/displayed in a special view mode called 'branch view' (probably the best feature of a program)
so there are moments when it is much easier to do some (more or less quick) file management action in ET, not in XY
I also have XYplorer and there is no problem to get Everything results in a paper folder
which in no way destroys any of my existing tabs in both panes.
But its a personal decision how to do things when several options are available.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If you install Everything 1.5, it will be installed side-by-side with your existing Everything 1.4.
So you can do your usual activities in 1.4 and run 1.5 when you want to test.

If you are worried that you might delete files in 1.5, there are a couple of settings you can use to prevent that:

Code: Select all

allow_open=0
allow_context_menu=0
allow_delete=0
allow_rename=0
allow_cut=0
allow_copy=0
allow_paste=0
allow_drag_drop=0
allow_path_ldrop=0
allow_path_rdrop=0
They do what you expect them to do :)
Not all might be useful in your situation, allow_context_menu=1 and allow_open=1might better suit your needs, for example.

How?
  • Make sure Everything 1.5 is not running (also check the system tray)
  • In File Explorer, type the following in the address bar and press ENTER:
    %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Make a backup copy of Everything-1.5a.ini so you can later restore your settings
  • Open Everything-1.5a.ini in a text editor
  • MAke the changes to the aforementioned settings. Change the ones you want.
  • Save and exit
  • Start Everything 1.5
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

horst.epp
i should have mentioned that i consciously don't use tabs at all (i had been trying them for several months but to no avail)
they are implemented in a bad way
especially if we speak about the detailed visual/ergonomic side of things (functionally they are not great as well)
but that's a total off-topic here
to get Everything results in a paper folder
i never use the xyplorer's feature called 'paper folder'. it's not useful/convenient for me
Is 1.5 safe to be used?
speaking about differences between 1.4 and 1.5, i had no problems with the safety for now
i test the 1.5 version since the beginning (since the 15th of march)
but i'm not the best reference point here because there is a reason why i almost stopped even loading the 1.5 version

on the other hand, there is some positive information too (related to differences between 1.4 and 1.5):
i finally found out in practice that this feature is really a great addition to ET 1.5
(substantially higher level of a usability/conveniency/speed is present here, inside the new 'content indexing' feature)