Searching function

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Midimaster

Searching function

Post by Midimaster »

Hello,

I recently re-installed "Everything".
My main reason to use it, is to search in my music-collection for specific tracks.
I run an internet radio-station with friends.

What I do is: I'll search for all music-files containg the word "Red" for example.
I want only the word "Red" in Artist and Track (Title).
After the hits I've got, I select them and drag them into my dj-program.

Today I saw 449 hits for Red, after I drag those selected files, I saw 490 files in my DJ Folder..
Everything selected also the files in the pad named Red.

How can I only search in the filenames?

Regards
MM
therube

Re: Searching function

Post by therube »

What's a "pad"?

In any case,
red !c:/djfolder/pad
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 pm What's a "pad"?
Probably the dutch word for Path. In that case:
Go to Menu:Search and de-select Match Path.

NL: In het hoofdmenu, kies voor Zoeken en zorg ervoor dat Pad moet overeenkomen niet geselecteerd is.
Midimaster

Post by Midimaster »

Yes I'm sorry, it's indeed path!
And I've unchecked "Match Path", but when copying the selection, I got extra items I didn't select :shock:
They where found in a path containing the exact phrase as my search string.

regards.
Last edited by Midimaster on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Searching for "Red" will show you files as well as folders containing the word Red.
To get only files, add file: to your serach query, like this:

Code: Select all

file:  red
Succes ermee!
Midimaster

Post by Midimaster »

Tnx!
But now this.. See my screenshot.. Selected 449 items, drag them into my program on the left (in "01 Thema") and suddenly I've got 40 extra's :shock:
Second screenshot shows Artist and track (without the search phrase "red"). Third screenshot shows that there are not so much "Johnny and the Hurricanes" selected.. but if you look at the path, you'll notice the album is called Red Rock.... And those other tracks in my folder are also copied into my program.

It's the album name that's in the mp3 tag: \Muziek\ZZ_Verzamel\9. Guitar\Rock'nRoll Surf Gitaar Instrumentaal\Johnny and The Hurricanes - Red River Rock And All The Hits

That's strange isn't it?

Regards
MM

NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Strange ...

Did you also drag a playlist (.m3u files, etc) to your program and that playlist was expanded by that program?

When you go to Menu:Zoeken > Beheer Filters and double-click Audio, you can see what Everything considers to be audio files.
You can edit this list to your liking if you want to exclude playlists (or add some ile extension)

Another way to exclude .m3u and .cue files from your search is by adding an extra search command, like this:

Code: Select all

file:   red   !ext:m3u;cue
EDIT: To clarify: "!" is Everything-speak for NOT (see https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/searching/)

BTW: I noticed you have also WHOLE WORD (gehele woord/ woord moet overeenkomen) enabled. Probably on purpose, but be aware that it will (obviously) influence your search results. For example: filenames including the word "redemption" will not be found this way.