EVERYTHING will not run in Windows 10 19041

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
break80

EVERYTHING will not run in Windows 10 19041

Post by break80 »

HELP!

I have been a loyal user for years, and have been using the Windows Insider versions for years. Starting around the summer or fall of 2019 Everything failed to run on my computer. Currently I am running Windows 10 version 2004 (OS Build 19041.21), the latest Windows 10 Insider version pushed to my computer in late December. My observation is that when I click the Everything Key icon nothing happens. I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling several times thinking I have done something wrong (I know, I know...that's the definition of insanity).

Currently I am desperate to get this working. Microsoft Windows Insider documentation says I can immediately stop and revert to the standard Windows 10 Pro. In Early December I clicked a setting that was supposed to stop the new versions from coming. That failed as well since they pushed a new version to my computer in late December. (The reinstall of standard Windows 10 seems a daunting task which I do not relish to get into from what I have read.

Does anyone have a workaround to get EVERYTHING running again? Will old versions run?
NotNull

Re: EVERYTHING will not run in Windows 10 19041

Post by NotNull »

What happens if you start Everything.exe instead of the shortcut?
Most likely places for Everything.exe:
- c:\program files\everything\everything.exe
- c:\program files (x86)\everything\everything.exe

What happens if you rename "Everything.exe" to "EverythingTEST.exe" and start that?

BTW: I'm a bit 'worried' about the icon. Normally that is a orange magifier glass.
break80

Post by break80 »

That was one of the first things I tried. would not start.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I haven't had any luck reproducing the issue on Windows 10 19041.21.

Are any Everything.exe processes running after you launch Everything? -Check with the Task manager with Ctrl + Shift + ESC.

Please make sure Everything is not trying to run as an administrator:
  • Right click your Everything.exe or a shortcut to Everything
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
Open your Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything.exe.
Change the following line:
run_as_admin=1
to:
run_as_admin=0

Microsoft uninstalls the Everything Service after each major update.. Not sure why..
If you manage to launch Everything and you are prompted with an access denied dialog, please choose Install Everything Service.

If you manage to launch Everything, please make sure Everything is installed correctly:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
Do you have a multi-monitor setup?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

break80 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:48 pm Currently I am desperate to get this working.
A good starting point would be to answer @void's questions.
Or reply to the personal message I sent you a week ago ...
break80

Post by break80 »

I agree...sorry. My work project was very intense and I could not waste more time trying to get "Everything" running. I resorted to File Explorer search, which is terribly slow and almost useless. I have not see any emails from you, although I don't know your email address and don't know how to find it. I am an outlook user and that search turned up nothing for "void", "voidtools" and "notnull". I noticed you have not been able to reproduce this issue on your device. Is anyone else seeing the same?
break80

Post by break80 »

I will try again now and try to answer your previous questions. I am currenting running 19041.84
break80

Post by break80 »

To Void...

Recently Microsoft pushed a new version of Windows to my computer. 19041.84. I don't know if that was what was going on, but now the EVERYTHING reinstall went fine, all the settings you asked about were fine, and EVERYTHING seems to be working fine...like nothing ever happened. I rebooted and it still works fine. IM BACK!!! No idea what was going on. I did resign from the Insider program back in December because I had trouble with some other programs I was running too, like CCleaner seems to be corrupting my Office 365 programs after I run it, and my Outlook seems not to be playing mice with some connected sites (Microsoft tried and even called in the higher level gurus and no one could figure out what was happening. I attribute it all to Insider version, which I am no longer running.

Anyway, thinks seems to be good now with EVERYTHING. Unfortunately my project is now over and I have less need. But nevertheless I use it every day for something. Will let you know if it goes belly up again someday. Thanks for your support. Still trying to break80!
break80

Post by break80 »

Its me again. Once again EVERYTHING stopped working. I don't know when because I have not used it for several weeks until now. I am running the same operating system, Win 10, build 19041.84. Back on Feb 17 when I reinstalled it worked fine. I even indexed 3 external hard drives. Now, in late Feb 28, it stopped working again. I click the tray icon and nothing happens. The user interface does not load. I can see it in Task Manager using 0 CPU and 1.5MB memory.

Will try uninstall/reinstall again, and maybe I will get it working again, maybe I won't. But what could be the problem?
break80

Post by break80 »

Its working again. I don't know why because I did not reinstall. I did reboot, and I did plug in the hard drives. Please disregard my previous plea for now.