Everything in VM?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
PeterPanino

Everything in VM?

Post by PeterPanino »

Does Everything work in a Parallels 15 VM (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) on Mac?
NotNull

Re: Everything in VM?

Post by NotNull »

I have no experience with Parallels (I'm allergic to Apple devices), but I can not see why Everything shouldn't work with Parallels.

Parallels virtualizes the hardware layer (equals the computer without software).
As far as MS Windows - that you install on Parallels - is concerned, it runs on actual hardware.
Everything integrates itself deep into Windows, but not deeper that that.

But better wait for someone with actual experience in this area before buying Parallels ....
PeterPanino

Post by PeterPanino »

My question was not so much about Parallels but about virtual machines in general because I assume that if Everythings works in one virtual machine then it should work in all virtual machines in the same way. Is that assumption correct or is it false?

And, BTW, it is a 16" MacBook Pro 2019 edition with 64 GB memory and 4 TB SSD. So, are there better options than Parallels for this configuration, or should I better get VMWare? The most used guest OS will be Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

PeterPanino wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:31 pm My question was not so much about Parallels but about virtual machines in general because I assume that if Everythings works in one virtual machine then it should work in all virtual machines in the same way. Is that assumption correct or is it false?
As long as as it emulates a x86 processor (and that;s the de facto processor): correct

EDIT:
A bit more detail: the CPU has to have virtualization support. But Parallels can run on this system, so that requirement is already fulfilled.
PeterPanino wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:31 pm And, BTW, it is a 16" MacBook Pro 2019 edition with 64 GB memory and 4 TB SSD. So, are there better options than Parallels for this configuration, or should I better get VMWare? The most used guest OS will be Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
Can't help you here, sorry. I know a thing or two about all kinds of virtualization, but that does not include Apple specific solutions ...