Several Problems

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Scottes

Several Problems

Post by Scottes »

TL;DR
Installed, had problems, uninstalled. Research indicates that this program is the best for this, so I installed again, had more problems:

1) Installed, configured 3 NTFS drives and 4 folders, 1 of them being a 26TB NAS with 7.6M objects, total 11.5M objects
2) Tested commandline es.exe, ran fine and produced results from all drives and folders
3) Ran es.exe with no arguments, got some kind of "out of memory" error, couldn't capture it though
4) "es.exe -timeout 2000 foobar.txt" did not timeout
5) Restarted everything.exe and service
6) Folders will not rescan. Error seems to be "failed to open directory 3"
7) Restarted everything.exe and service multiple times, folders still won't scan
Debug output: https://pastebin.com/XAd9mNpk

The details:

I installed Everything a few hours ago and I've been having several issues. So many that I don't know where to begin on debugging, so I'll list my issues and then hopefully that will give someone an idea on how I can provide better debug info. I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something totally insane, and provide some info so that proper, orchestrated debugging can be done. Right now I'm flailing a bit.

Since I can't remember all of the steps in the exact order...
Under General... I have both Run as Admin and Everything Service checked.
Under General... UI I have both Create A New Window options checked.
Under Indexes... NTFS I selected 3 drives, C D & E, to be included. I skipped F and two attached USB drives. (Approx 1.6M files/dirs)

I did some tests, everything seemed fine, so then I added Folders from another PC: M, N, and O. (Approx 2.6M files/dirs)

I did some tests, everything seemed fine, so then added my NAS, P: (Approx 26TB and 7.3M files/dirs)
Note: All folders have Attempt To Monitor Changes unchecked, scan every day at 3 AM.

I saw that it was scanning P:, figured it was going to take a while, had lunch.

I came back and ran some tests to get used to the commandline program and switches, and it was successfully finding files on all drives, working perfectly. Note: I renamed ES.exe to everything_cli.exe so that I'd know what it was in a year. If it matters.

At one point I ran the commandline program without any parameters or search text. It popped up a box saying something about being out of memory and/or heap, but I was typing when it popped up so it disappeared almost immediately.

Everything.exe was no longer running, apparently, so further commandline tests - with search text - just hung. Adding "-timeout 2000" did not time out, and I hit ^C. I restarted Everything.exe, restarted the service, and tried these a few times.

Now the GUI window lists approximately 1.6M objects on the status line, which matches the number of files/dirs on my local NTFS drives. Searches for files on other driver fail to produce results. Searches for any of the other drives themselves - "O:" - produce 1 result, the drive letter.

I went back into Options... Indexes... Folders, selected one of them and clicked Rescan Now. Nothing happened. No "Scanning O:" on the status line.

I exited Everything, opened a command prompt as Administrator and ran everything.exe -debug and clicked Rescan Now with M: selected. I get:

updated C: in 0.014100 seconds
processed usn records in 0.001433 seconds
DB_WAIT: _db_ready_proc waiting...
DB_WAIT: _db_ready_proc waited 0.000492 seconds
new results 1557464
update folder start M:\
scanning M:\...
next update at 24/01 3:00
failed to open directory 3

scan completed in 0.002366 seconds
scan completed in 0.003508 seconds
rescan update db
leave folder update
update index C:

Any help would be appreciated.
NotNull

Re: Several Problems

Post by NotNull »

First up: thanks for the detailed report. You came well prepared! That should make finding a solution much easier.

At the moment you are running Everything as local administrator
That means that this account will be used to access your NAS. Most likely the local administrator account has no access.
(Now you will tell me that Everything actualy *did* have access to those files, but often when you reconfigure Everything in this regard, you have to exit Everything completely first. Otherwise Evrything will be in some 'halfway' state).

Best practice is to use the Everything Service instead of running as admin. That way the NAS will be accessed using the mapping from your 'normal' user account.
Please configure Everything this way:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
This is the first step/anwer. More will follow in the next message (so you can already start with fixing things while I keep typing)
Last edited by NotNull on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

Unchecked, selected a Folder, hit Rescan Now, and it's scanning. Only in Tools... Options though, not in the status line.
So that's a big improvement. Hopefully - it might take a few minutes.

3 minutes in: Everything states "not responding", es.exe hangs, -timeout is ignored.
4 minutes in: Now responding, Tools... Options still says "rescanning", es.exe finds files on that folder, statusline reports another 1.1M files.
8 minutes in: M, N, O are done and commandline finds files. P, the NAS, must be rescanning I guess but no indicators of that. But nothing is hanging.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything needs time to scan that many files. It can't go any faster than your NAS / fileservers deliver that information.

Scanning Local NTFS folders is shown in the statusbar; scanning Folder indexes (your network disks) is done in the background and can only be seen in MEnu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders ("Rescanning ..." next to the foldername)

Give it a little time ...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

ad. 3)
When you run ES.exe without any parameters, ES will (try to) list all the files that Everything knows about. In your case 7.6 million files and folders. That might be a little too much for either ES.exe or the Windows console (but this is only a guess..)
Try
ES.exe -get-result-count
instead; that will show you instantly the number of files/folders found.
(BTW: You can configure ES so that it doesn't show all files/folders when started without parameters)
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

When I scanned M: it said "Rescanning" next to the foldername, but there's been no such indication for N, O, or the NAS P. Granted, N and O were <50K objects each, so it might have passed quickly. So if P is being rescanned, I can't tell.

NAS stats say the CPU is 1% utilized and very little network IO. But it could be scanning. I'll give it another 40 minutes and see.

I'm still curious about es.exe ignoring the -timeout.
I'm *very* curious about that Out Of memory error that appeared. I will try to recreate with debug running - after P: is done scanning.

===
Cross-post. I kinda figured that the full load - 11.5M files actually - might have been responsible for the memory error. Given your response, I won't bother trying to recreate it.

I am going to be programming a Python wrapper around this so I'll [almost certainly] never run es.exe directly, so I'll be sure to trap the empty search list.

Thanks for the help!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Scottes wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm I am going to be programming a Python wrapper around this
In that case: Everything comes with an SDK. A Python example can be found here :)

If this is going to be something that is of interest to the outside world, please mention it here too!
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

Nah, it's going to be very simple stuff, like limiting the search to my local machine, or the NAS, or only report videos or music files.

Chances are that I don't even need Python for most of what I want to do, and I'll just use a .bat file. But sometimes I want to do things like display the resolution of each video or the length of each song so I'll have Python do something for each result returned.

I will, however, definitely be checking the SDK out, and that Python example will almost certainly come in very handy.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

It should say "Rescanning" for your P:-drive too.

Please try the following:
  • Exit Everything
  • Disconnect your P:-drive (right-click P: in Explorer or net use P: /d in CMD )
  • Reconnect your P:-drive (what credentials do you use for that?)
  • Start Everything
  • Select your P:\ folder (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders)
  • Click the Rescan now button
(or just reboot your computer ..)
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

Strangely, my other inferior file indexing tool *just* told me that P: was not available. I'm logged into the NAS' GUI but the drive is not mounted. That would explain it.

Remounted, hit rescan now, and now it says "Rescanning". Yay. (But odd that it disconnected.)

Found the issue. I rebooted a couple hours ago, and the SMB Client couldn't reach the DNS server when the mount happened so it couldn't resolve the hostname used in the mapping so the P: drive couldn't mount. A classic case of error on my part - I should have configured the mapping to use the NAS's IP address. Doh! I know this, but forgot.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Scottes wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 pm But sometimes I want to do things like display the resolution of each video or the length of each song
Indexing metadata like that is on the to-do-list for the next major version of Everything. So come back once in a while :D
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

NotNull wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:16 pm So come back once in a while :D
"Check for updates on startup" is checked, for sure. :D