New external drive

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Torso718

New external drive

Post by Torso718 »

Hello, I switched to a new external drive for my karaoke and audio and Search Everything is not pulling up all of the folders. If I plug my old drive back in it recognizes all.
PLEASE HELP! I have a show tonight!
NotNull

Re: New external drive

Post by NotNull »

If the drive is NTFS formatted, it will be added to the Everything database automatcally.
If it is formatted in another way (Fat32, Fat64, ...), you need to add that drive manually:

Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders and add your drive there.
Torso718

Post by Torso718 »

I just checked the drive and it’s NTFS. The drive is a FantomHD. When I first plugged in the drive I remember it asked me something about if I wanted Winamp (The program I use for karaoke files) to work with the drive and I said yes. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not but Everything is not showing my files. A few, yes but nowhere near what it should. When I plug in my old drive it pulls all files up.
Torso718

Post by Torso718 »

Ok, even though the drive was NTFS I still followed your directions and I rescanned the drive. Low and behold IT WORKED! Much thanks NotNull!
therube

Post by therube »

NTFS drives, external (& internal for that matter), may or may not be added - automatically, depending on the options set in:

Everything Options | Indexes | NTFS -> Automatically include...

(I don't recall if new removable drives is enabled by default?)

An external drive may or may not be treated as "removable" (depending on how it is set up/seen by the OS).
If your drive is in fact NTFS, it is more efficient for it to use NTFS indexing (in Everything) rather then File Indexing.
(My Computer, right-click the particular drive letter, Properties, should show if it is NTFS or not.)