how to do these searches?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
BigDan

how to do these searches?

Post by BigDan »

Sometimes I search for files such as txt files which have thousands of matches. In cases like this I like to sort by last modified because I'm usually searching for something I've used in the last few months. But when ordering by modified when there's a few thousand matches it really takes its time.

Is there a way to filter out most of the files so I'm only looking at files modified in the last, say, 12 months? Or Jan 2019 onwards, or any kind of date filter?

I'd also like to limit my search to Desktop and Documents. I know how to limit to one of them. Is there a way to search in only two locations, no more, but no less?

Another problem that happens is it starts looking at subfolders. I know files I want are in the Documents folder, but also see results in subfolders within Documents. I'd like to filter those out.

And finally - with some of these commands (such as filtering out subfolders) I know they exist but it involves terms I wont be able to memorize or even understand. Is there a way I can create some kind of shortcut so I dont have to actually memorize anything and it's just automatic? Or a toggle of sorts?

Thanks for any help!
horst.epp

Re: how to do these searches?

Post by horst.epp »

Use filter to store repetive searches
https://www.voidtools.com/support/every ... g/#filters
and look on the Online help for the search syntax to find how to restrict your results.
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/
After that you can come back with specific questions if any :)
NotNull

Re: how to do these searches?

Post by NotNull »

BigDan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm But when ordering by modified when there's a few thousand matches it really takes its time.
You likely dont have this information in the database, so Everything has to check for each file.
To add this to the database - and speed up your searches dramatically - :
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes
  • Enable Index date modified
  • Enable Fast date modified sort
  • Click [OK]

For all subjects below, details and more info can be found here
BigDan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm Is there a way to filter out most of the files so I'm only looking at files modified in the last, say, 12 months?

Code: Select all

dm:last12months
(dm = Date Modified)

BigDan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm I'd also like to limit my search to Desktop and Documents. I know how to limit to one of them. Is there a way to search in only two locations, no more, but no less?

Code: Select all

shell:desktop | shell:"local documents"

BigDan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm looking at subfolders
Use the parent: function.
Unfortunately, the parent: function does not work in combination with the shell: function (yet; it is on the to do list)
So you have to specify:
parent:"c:\users\bigdan\desktop" | parent:"c:\users\bigdan\documents"

BigDan wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 pm Is there a way I can create some kind of shortcut so I dont have to actually memorize anything and it's just automatic?
Menu:Bookmarks > Add to Bookmarks and give it a recognizable name (ABC for this example).
Recall your bookmark with Menu:Bookmarks > ABC