Context menu-open path freezing Everything

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Context menu-open path freezing Everything

Post by harryray2 »

If I try to open more than a few files with the open path or explore path with the right click context menu Everything freezes and I have to wait a long time before the command works.

As I have to use this several times a day it's getting very frustrating!!

Thanks.
NotNull

Re: Context menu-open path freezing Everything

Post by NotNull »

void wrote:
I'm aware of the issue and am working on a solution.

For now, please use the main File menu for common commands.

For the next version of Everything it create a list of shell items almost instantly (this is very slow currently).
I've also found QueryContextMenu (creates a menu from all the shell items) to be very slow with lots of items...
Clicking on a context menu item in Everything and executing a command starts instantly.

Windows Explorer looks like it is creating a context menu for 1-16 items, and only after the user clicks a command it loads the entire HDROP and I experience the same slowness as Everything took to load the initial context menu before the command actually starts.

Looks like I'll have to implement my own context menus, a project of its own..

As for canceling the creation of the context menu, it is not really possible as Everything offloads this to the OS and the OS does not provide a way to cancel QueryContextMenu, again I would have to implement my own context menus to add such a feature.
(thread)

For now, the most relevant line out of it: "For now, please use the main File menu for common commands."

If it is Open Path and/or Explore Path, like you mentioned (which I can hardly imagine: opening 100 File Explorers seems .. chaotic):
Open Path: Menu:File > Open Path (or press CTRL-ENTER)
Explore Path:
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Context Menu
  • Select Explore Path
  • Click on the Show this item radiobutton
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Keyboard
  • Type "explore" in the "Show commands containing:" box
  • Select File | Explore Path
  • Click the Add button
  • Select Result list from the "Use shortcut in:" dropdown list
  • Type a keybaord shortcut in the "Shortcut key:" box, for example SHIFT+ENTER
  • Click OK
  • Click OK
  • Done
From now on you can select Open Path and Explore path through Menu:File or use their keyboar shortcuts CTRL+ENTER and SHIFT-ENTER
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks..opening it from the file menu solves the problem.

Is there any way of removing the entries from the context menu but leaving them in the file menu?

I removed the open path and explore path in options but it seems to remove the entries in both the context menu AND the file menu.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is there any way of removing the entries from the context menu but leaving them in the file menu?
Currently no, customizing the file menu and context menu is on my TODO list.
I removed the open path and explore path in options but it seems to remove the entries in both the context menu AND the file menu.
Correct, the file menu will include the same context menu items.

The next major version of Everything will use "simple" "item id lists", this will make showing the context menu for thousands of items must faster.
An item id list is basically a file path, eg: c:\windows\foo.txt
Currently, Everything is building full item id lists for every item in the selection. Building a full item id list will go to disk to verify the item exists.
A "simple" "item id lists" does not require disk access.