How to quickly clear the search box?

General discussion related to "Everything".
FastrThnU

How to quickly clear the search box?

Post by FastrThnU »

I'm looking for a way to clear the search box instantly so I can perform a new search. Currently I have to select all text in the search box and press DEL, or backspace over all the current text in the search box. I would really like ESC to clear the search box but I can't seem to find a way to do it. I already changed ESC so it doesn't close Everything because I was accidentally doing that frequently.

I have a list of exactly 7,936 items I'm manually having to search for and for each one after I finish the search I'm currently hitting HOME, SHIFT-END to select all the text and then pressing DEL. It would be great if I could reduce those 4 keystrokes to 1.

I have looked through all the options, and hotkeys. and the documentation, Googled it, and searched these forums and I can't find a way to do it. Am I missing something?
Last edited by FastrThnU on Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: How to quickly clear the search box?

Post by therube »

Search box already has some shortcut keys associated.

Tools | Options | General - Keyboar --> [show commands containing] focus, Search Edit Focus Search Edit [Ctrl+F, F3, ...]

So a Ctrl+F DEL, or F3+DEL ... might help, some.

Suppose a focus & clear could help, if it existed.
FastrThnU

Post by FastrThnU »

therube wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:11 pm Search box already has some shortcut keys associated.

Tools | Options | General - Keyboar --> [show commands containing] focus, Search Edit Focus Search Edit [Ctrl+F, F3, ...]

So a Ctrl+F DEL, or F3+DEL ... might help, some.

Suppose a focus & clear could help, if it existed.
I think I found a way to reduce it to 2 keys. Just hit CTRL-A and then just start typing the text for the next search terms. Because they are highlighted just typing the next search items will erase what is currently there. Still would prefer to assign ESC to clear the search box.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Tools > Options... > General > Keyboard > View | Go To | Home > ESC (Global)
FastrThnU

Post by FastrThnU »

tuska wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:01 pm Tools > Options... > General > Keyboard > View | Go To | Home > ESC (Global)
That worked! Thank you so much, "Go To | Home" doesn't indicate clearing the search box (at least to me) so I must have missed it when I was looking through the list.