Everything losing focus and disapearing

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Lateron

Everything losing focus and disapearing

Post by Lateron »

Suddenly after years of depending on Everything search app it is experiencing a problem. I have been using the latest version, Version 1.4.1.935 (x64)

When I run Everything it opens as usual. As soon as I type anything in the search bar of click any of the entries being shown, Everything disappears from my desktop screen.

In windows 10 pro task manager, Processes tab, it is running with 0% cpu.
In Details tab, it is shown as running with UAC virtualisation as Not Allowed. :!:
In the Services tab it is shown as running.

When I run it again it needs to scan my disk again.

I have uninstalled Everything multiple times and re-installed with the same effect.
I have scanned my system for spyware and malware, so it is clean.

Why is UAC virtualisation set to "Not Allowed". No other entries are set that way.

Any comments?

I rely on Everything for fast PC searches, so really need this application!
therube

Re: Everything losing focus and disapearing

Post by therube »

Tools | Options -> General --> Results ---> Close window on execute (uncheck)

(If that is checked, that leaves Everything inaccessible. ?
Wasn't there an earlier thread... ?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7397
OK, it is still accessible from the System Tray icon, but not from something like Process Hacker (Window -> Bring to front). That's odd. [Sort of reminds me of something...]

I'm still missing something here, as it doesn't seem right?

Don't think I'm seeing any difference by changing the setting of hide_on_close= ?
Or what, that only affects Home & what happens when you reopen, not anything to do with the actual "hiding".
[So in my case, not caring about Home, that setting makes no difference.)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Lateron wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 pm I have been using the latest version, Version 1.4.1.935 (x64)
The most recent version is currently 1.4.1.956 and can be found here (including instructions on how to install.
Lateron wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 pm Why is UAC virtualisation set to "Not Allowed". No other entries are set that way.
Because you are running Everything as administrator. When elevated, there is no need to redirect write actions to a place that is normally inaccessible. That is Windows design.
  • Disable Run as administrator and enable Everything servicwe (both can be found under Menu:Tools > Options >General)
  • Exit Everything (Menu:File > Exit) and/or rightclick the Everything systentray icon > Exit
  • Start Everything.
Problem solved?

If not: Did you recently install some software that adds entriesto the context menus of files or olders?
Uninstall it and see if that helps.
Lateron

Post by Lateron »

Tanks for the replies.
I followed the instructions and downloaded and installed version 1.4.1.956. That did not solve the problem.
I uninstalled Everything using a third party uninstaller. All (task manager) traces of it had gone.
I installed version 1.4.1.956 again but that did not solve the problem.
After starting a search by typing 3 characters, it disappeared.

The status is now
services.msc shows Everything as Running, Automatic (one entry only)

In the Task manager:
There are now two entries in the service tab;
Both are shown as Running
There are also two entries in the Details tab;
The top one, Running, under my user name, 128,396K storage, Disabled.
The second one, Running, username SYSTEM, 1,728K storage, Not allowed
Everything is up and running in Process tab

And I was not running as Administrator but as "Everything Service" (and have not in the recent past).

I do not recall installing context menu entries. I will however go back to an old restore point to see if that helps.
Does Everything have a log file? (i can't search for one right now!)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Could be a shell extension crashing Everything.

Please try the latest nightly build.

With the latest nightly, please enable shell_max_path:
  • In Everything , type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /shell_max_path=1
If Everything disappears before you can type this in, please add the following to the end of your Everything.ini in %APPDATA%\Everything
shell_max_path=1
Lateron

Post by Lateron »

I was following your instructions and noticed that when I copied and pasted "/shell_max_path=1" into the search field and hit enter, Everything came back with 0 objects AND NO CRASH!

When I search for “everything.ini” using copy/paste, it does not crash!

The everything.ini file had not been modified yet with the "shell_max_path=1" entry. After modifying it, I got the same results.

HELP! (new results)
With copy/paste in the search field I tried “shell_max_path=1" ==>> No crash
With “paste” ==>> No crash
With “ keyboard” ==>> No crash
With “ entries” ==>> No crash
With “ copy” ==>> CRASH! After a few seconds
With “ using copy/paste” ==>> No crash

The word “copy” by itself seems to upset Everything! And so does direct keyboard input.

It looks like something in the keyboard characters is upsetting Everything. Strange, because I can work normally and all other apps accept the input from the keyboard.

I can now search as usual using the copy/past method.(as long as I do not use “copy” by itself or enter a search word directly from the keyboard)

I hope you can give me some additional guidance so that I can just enter a search item via keyboard strokes.
Lateron

Post by Lateron »

I restored windows to a previous restore point and everything is working correctly. I still do not know what caused the problem.

Thanks anyway for your help in trying to solve the problem.
therube

Post by therube »

Any new programs that you had installed (between when Everything started failing & the [back] date of your restore)?
Any change to existing program settings stand out?
Perhaps something that enabled a context-menu option or added a keyboard shortcut?