how to initiate indexing?

General discussion related to "Everything".
kumar

how to initiate indexing?

Post by kumar »

I installed everything as a service and it starts automatically upon logon. I open the program window from system tray but, when I type a filename in search criteria field nothing happens. Does this mean the indexing has not been done? How do I initiate everything to index and how do I know it has completed indexing? Also, how do I configure everything to automatically index periodically or based on a schedule? Thanks.
NotNull

Re: how to initiate indexing?

Post by NotNull »

Indexing normally takes a couple of seconds to a minute. But when Everything is running from the systemtray, that indexing already has been done.

When you open the Everything program window, you can see how many files and folders are found by Everything in the status bar. How many objects are indexed in your case?
You can enable the statusbar through Menu:View > Status Bar
kumar

Post by kumar »

Statusbar says 0 objects.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Enable Everything Service and disable Run as administrator. Both can be found under Menu:Tools > Options > General.

If that doesn't fix it, could you send me your Everything.ini?
(Everything has over 700 configuration settings and quite a few can impact the search results. Instead of asking 50 questions, the easiest way is sending your Everything.ini)
Everything.ini can be found in (1) c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\everything\everything.ini or (2) the folder where you installed Everything.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Hopefully this isn't out of turn, but it was my experience that I had to manually add all FAT32/exFAT drive letters under the Options > Indexes > Folders section. Everything seemed to only index NTFS volumes automatically on first run. (All of my drives are FAT except for the system disk)