ES stopped finding files that exist

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
carabalda

ES stopped finding files that exist

Post by carabalda »

Very strange. Suddenly today I see that Everything Search (ES) has stopped finding files, which I know exist on an internal hard drive (drive F:\). If you look at the three attached screen captures, you'll see what I mean. I'm looking for a series of 8 video file archives named "7 Deadly Sins (something)". Capture #1 shows the files that ES finds when I type "deadly-" into the box (without the quotation marks). ES finds all 8 video files in the series (which are RAR archive files), and some other JPG and PDF files, 21 files all together. OK that's fine. But if I add more to the search by adding an "s" to the search - "deadly-s" - suddenly ES finds 0 files, as seen in capture 2. If I keep adding text so that the search is now for "deadly-sins," the JPG files are found again, one PDF is found (as expected, since the other PDFs didn't have "sins" in their file names), and NONE of the RAR files are found. Why doesn't ES find those 8 RAR files which clearly have "deadly-sins" in their names? It's maddening. This just started happening. I last used ES on Monday with no problem. Coming back to the computer on Saturday, suddenly the program's behavior has changed. I made no manual updates, and the program tells me I have the lastest version installed. This is just baffling. Any ideas of what to check?
Attachments
Everything-1_deadly.jpg
Everything-1_deadly.jpg (420.14 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Everything-2_deadly-s.jpg
Everything-2_deadly-s.jpg (115.52 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Everything-3_deadly-sins.jpg
Everything-3_deadly-sins.jpg (196.88 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
NotNull

Re: ES stopped finding files that exist

Post by NotNull »

According to the statusbar in your screenshots, you have Match Whole Word enabled.
Disable it by
-double-clicking WHOLE WORD in the statusbar
- Press CTRL-B
- Menu:Search > Match Whole Word

.. and you should get results again.
carabalda

Re: ES stopped finding files that exist

Post by carabalda »

WOW! Thank you so much, NotNull! I have no idea how that got enabled, though I suspect an accidental CTRL-B could have it. You're a life saver. Much obliged.