Can't add HDD to EveryThing because it thinks its a burner

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
phototaker

Can't add HDD to EveryThing because it thinks its a burner

Post by phototaker »

I was given a HDD in a USB caddy that is formatted NTFS. I thought that I might as well put files on it & since It's NTFS I thought that I could include it in EveryThing, but Windows 10 64 bit thinks otherwise.

It seems that Windows thinks its a disk burner because when I click on it to open it it asks be to insert a disk. I'm assuming that this is just more Windows nonsense but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this?

Thanks in advance
therube

Re: Can't add HDD to EveryThing because it thinks its a burner

Post by therube »

How does the disk attach to the computer (connection; usb, esata, ...)?
Does the disk work?
Is it seen in Windows?
What does Disk Management show?
phototaker

Post by phototaker »

The HHD is USB3 and attached to PC via USB3 cable.
If I go to 'This PC ' & click on it i'm asked to insert a disk. If I just look at 'THIS PC" it just says USB drive.

For Disk management see attached. The Disk appears to be empty. Perhaps I could just try formatting it?
Attachments
Disk management.JPG
Disk management.JPG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 5885 times
therube

Post by therube »

That was going to be my next question.

Were you expecting there to be anything on the drive, was there anything on the drive that you needed... And assuming no, then I'd go that route, format, & see what that does for you.

Only thing is, 485 MB? MB not GB?
That's mighty small these days.
Much less to be in a USB (& 3 at that) device.
And even if it were a "500 MB drive", you wouldn't expect it be SATA (which you've got to be the only connection to be found in any current USB3 device) ...

Does the drive have multiple partitions (not shown in the screenshot)?
(It does say, partition 2, which I guess tends to indicate that there is a partition 1?)

500 MB sounds like it's some kind of OS reserved or restore-like partition.

Or, what what it, Win10, at some point, was going to reserve some ungodly amount of space - so that it knew that it had enough free space to perform updates...? No, that's not it. They're reserving 7 GB, https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32247 ... -Major-Rel.

I'd be sure you know what you're looking at before you go about doing any formatting.
phototaker

Post by phototaker »

As far as I know there was little or nothing on the HDD. THe HDD is labeled at being 500GB. Why the snip shows 5MB also seems crazy unless its some reserved area for something Windows needs. I had hopped to use the is HDD to put all of my music files(which are a mess with many duplications) and once there all in one place I would try to sort the files out by eliminating duplicates etc.

I have the latest Window version updated just 2 days ago & then a followup update for something else yesterday. Programs like Avast AV, MalwareBytes & CCLeaner & Ashampoo don't show problems. The PC has been shop twice in resent months & no problems were detected. Despite all this every day crazy things happen. For instance I can receive an email with a small attachment & I ask for it to be saved to Desktop.

About half the time you can never find it on the Desktop the test of the time you can request it to deleted from the Desktop by using the right click command. Nothing appears to have happened as the ICON is still on the desktop yet if you right click it again to re try deleting it says it can't find it.

I was going to tell you what version of Windows was installed but this won't open at the moments yet I seem to recall it might be 1903.

I had only thought of using Everything to index this HDD so as it try to fix the mess once all music was in one place.
phototaker

Post by phototaker »

I had tried to re format the HDD but when I went the Disk management I saw the attached which doesn't look correct I & I was concerned about proceeding because It seems to now think this HDD is part of my 'C' SSD drive.
Attachments
Disk management.JPG
Disk management.JPG (76.55 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
phototaker

Post by phototaker »

It's a few hours later & I tried Windows update information & this time it allowed me to get to page. It was version 1903 1s I had suggested.see attached.
Attachments
Windows version update.JPG
Windows version update.JPG (120.48 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
therube

Post by therube »

Remove this USB3 drive.
Reboot the computer.
Again open Disk Management.

It would appear, that there would be no change, as in the computer is not even seeing this USB3 disk.

As (now) shown, that 458 MB partition is part of your "C" drive, a "recovery partition".
You do not want to mess with that.
Likewise that 978 MB partition, unallocated, is not worth messing with.

After confirming there is no change in Disk Management - with the USB3 drive physically removed, then try plugging it into a different USB port, preferably in the rear, then open Disk Management & see if it is then seen. Similarly, when you plug the drive in, does Windows report it has assigned a drive letter to the drive? Or does it note any failure?
phototaker

Post by phototaker »

I have tried all of the suggestions like only using rear USB port and eventually have it working & it's been assigned the letter 'E'. I have also been able to transfer lots of music onto it. I think that the problem may have been a faulty USB3 connector from HDD to PC because when I replaced the cable it started to work. Even this happening is a bit of a puzzle since when I tried connecting with old cable I could still hear the connection sound & this seems to be a contradiction if the cable was faulty.

Another strange thing I noticed is if I look at this thread on my Tablet all of the screen shots/uploads has the message that I don't have permission to see then even though I posted them myself from PC.

In any event Thanks for all of the help.
therube

Post by therube »

I don't have permission to see
That occurs when you're not logged in to this site (with images that are hosted here).
phototaker

Post by phototaker »

I finally got around to looking at Everything as it concerns the question I had raised.

I have this spare HDD attached to the PC by an USB3 cable into the back port from the USB3 caddy. The disk is formatted as NTFS. Windows THIS PC tells me that I have used about half of the 500GB drives capacity as music. I can't for a moment believe there could be this much.

The amount used is not of concern. I have ticked the box telling Everything to index this 'E' drive but nothing at all appears in my search. Does the fact that I'm using a caddy exclude this HDD from being indexed?