Search Local Folder...

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
t5800

Search Local Folder...

Post by t5800 »

Hi
Is it possible to populate and index a shared folder on a local users PC and have other users that have access to this particular PC to search for filenames from their PC?
If so, can these other users accessing this shared folder use their Windows Search program to find these files, or do they have to have a copy of EVERYTHING on their PC, to conduct search and find files?
Thank you in anticipation...
NotNull

Re: Search Local Folder...

Post by NotNull »

I can answer your questions, but I doubt if that will help you much (but keep reading ..):
t5800 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:06 am Is it possible to populate and index a shared folder on a local users PC and have other users that have access to this particular PC to search for filenames from their PC?
Yes.

If so, can these other users accessing this shared folder use their Windows Search program to find these files,
No.

... or do they have to have a copy of EVERYTHING on their PC, to conduct search and find files?
No.

If I did "subtitle" your questions correctly, your best bet is to run the Server component of Everything on this particular machine and let other users connect to it.
The server can be a :
  • ETP Server (extended FTP server; requires Everything.exe on the other computers to run as a ETP Client)
  • HTTP server (no Everything on the client needed; a webbrowser is enough)
I think ETP Server is your best option (more flexible; extra options)

Some links to get you going:
ETP Server information: https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/etp/
More ETP Server information: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1790
Example client path rewriting: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5723

Notes:
Don't use port 21;use something like 2121 instead
Don't forget to configure the firewall - on the machine where the ETP server is running - to open this port.