File association (newbie)

General discussion related to "Everything".
Kimera757

File association (newbie)

Post by Kimera757 »

I installed File Viewer, which doesn't seem to play well with Everything. I've uninstalled File Viewer and installed the latest version of Everything.

I am having trouble with default file associations. For JPGs Everything doesn't seem to know which program I want to use (Windows Photo Viewer) and shows me a "blank icon" instead. For PDFs it uses the "wrong" program.

It's not using the default programs I have with Windows. Where do I find the default file associations in Everything?
therube

Re: File association (newbie)

Post by therube »

What is File Viewer?

Everything doesn't have "associations" per se.

Everything ("Preview") can use Windows facilities (which may vary by OS & or programs you may have installed), & it is those facilities which determine what Preview may or may not display.

If you click on an item, it should open in whatever (OS) default program handles that particular file type.
Otherwise you could right-click & Open With or SendTo...
Kimera757

Post by Kimera757 »

File Viewer let me open a large (and important) file that pretty much nothing else would open. Unfortunately it tried to take over everything else (as in every time I tried to open a file, it wanted to be the program to open it).

I noticed this issue coming up when I try to open an image file: Tablet Windows User Interface (TWINUI)

I currently cannot open anything with VLC, but PDFs and Open Office files seem to be okay.
froggie

Post by froggie »

You have to re-establish the Windows file associations that File Viewer changed

For example, to fix VLC associations:

Open VLC, Select TOOLS from the Menu, then PREFERENCES, then INTERFACE

Scroll down to the bottom, click SET UP ASSOCIATIONS. Select the file type you want VLC to play

(You can click SELECT ALL but scan down and uncheck all non audio files, such as ZIP)

Click SAVE and you are done.
Kimera757

Post by Kimera757 »

Thank you. I'm jumping on that now. I'll report when I'm done this (with bunches of programs, probably).
Kimera757

Post by Kimera757 »

After going through everything, they all work except for JPG and MP4. I don't know why those don't work. It doesn't crash, they simply don't launch, or even appear in the task manager.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Are you running Everything as administrator? (check Menu:Tools > Options > General)
Are you running 32-bits or 64-bits version of Everything?
Kimera757

Post by Kimera757 »

I'm running it as an administrator, and I downloaded the 64 bit version.

The JPG seems to work now, but PDFs still don't work.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Some filetype settings are per user (instead of per machine). When you run Everything as administrator, it is effectively using another user account (in most cases).

Disable Run as administrator and enable Everything Service (both under Menu:Tools > General) and Everything should behave the same as Explorer (Explorer runs under your "normal" user account)