Questions about folder indexing

General discussion related to "Everything".
pcnadmin

Questions about folder indexing

Post by pcnadmin »

I've been searching with no luck so here's my question(s)...

A) Can folder indexing be done via the command line?
or
B) Can the indexing of folders be default for all users on a particular PC?

The issue I'm having is I install Everything on a PC as myself, but when another user logs in they have the Everything program, however the indexed folders go away and need to be re-indexed.

Like this:
User A logs in and indexes both of his/her mapped network drives (X: and Y:)
User B (who also has X: and Y: mapped) logs into the same PC,opens everything, goes to folder indexing and there is nothing there. User B now has to add his/her mapped drives (X: and Y:) to the folder index and wait while the indexing takes place.

Is there any way to make the folder indexes global for all users?
Can it be done via the command line so I can make a batch script?

Thanks
therube

Re: Questions about folder indexing

Post by therube »

just rambling...

set up a separate instance for your other users
-instance <name>

have it use its own config file
-config <filename>

pointing to an common area to store its' settings & database, accessible for every user

are X: & Y:, though named X & Y, actually pointing to different places for different users?
vsub

Post by vsub »

Isn't that because the settings are stored in the user profile folder?
While using the installer,that should be the case.

Try unchecking Tools=>Options=>General=>Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything

%APPDATA% leads to the current active user AppData folder...each user has its own folder
I am not really sure what is the benefit of using the installer version(I use the portable version and everything(the program and the meaning of the word :lol: ) works fine)
rob

Post by rob »

vsub wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 pm Isn't that because the settings are stored in the user profile folder?
While using the installer,that should be the case.

Try unchecking Tools=>Options=>General=>Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything

%APPDATA% leads to the current active user AppData folder...each user has its own folder
I am not really sure what is the benefit of using the installer version(I use the portable version and everything(the program and the meaning of the word :lol: ) works fine)
good answer. Also, using RUNAS https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... 5(v=ws.11) in a batch file (installing via unattended setup) or included as part of a logon script for domain users can smooth things. a bit fiddly to deploy that way, but not different from most LAN deployed apps.