Everything and NAS questions

General discussion related to "Everything".
abu

Everything and NAS questions

Post by abu »

Hello,

Everything! is essential part of my everyday workflow, I literally can't live without it. I currently use a Windows NAS with NTFS drives that shares data over SMB3 and has Everything! running as a service. On my Windows laptop, I have a separate instance of Everything! connected to the Everything! server of NAS.

I am building a new NAS, and leaning towards Linux. I am planning to share contents of 2x or 3x HDDs over SMB3, these drives obviously won't be NTFS.

On my Windows laptops, I will access the contents of NAS as folders, without mounting them as external drives. My laptop will be the only device which has access to NAS.

If I add the folders in Everything! and check "attempt to monitor changes", under the described circumstances, will my experience degrade? How reliable is "attempt to monitor changes" function? Does it even work on drives with filesystems different than NTFS or ReFS?
NotNull

Re: Everything and NAS questions

Post by NotNull »

abu wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 pm If I add the folders in Everything! and check "attempt to monitor changes", under the described circumstances, will my experience degrade? How reliable is "attempt to monitor changes" function? Does it even work on drives with filesystems different than NTFS or ReFS?
I had the same question (see here). void's answers really helped me understanding it.
Janus

Re: Everything and NAS questions

Post by Janus »

@abu

I also use everything on a lan with servers monitored by everything via tools/options/indexes/folders.
It works, but uses a lot of memory since it a singular lan wide index.

ReactOS is not quite ready for prime time yet, so I may soon have to switch to Linux for my servers.
Nothing against Linux, it is an incredible headless server system, but it is not designed for a desktop, and it shows.
If Linux supported an Everything type program for monitoring that could report the same way, I would use it.

My plan is to use samba since it supports directory monitoring and notify changes.
This should allow the smallest change possible right now.
I am doing testing to see how well windows can monitor samba shares on linux systems, and so far the results are disappointing.

I have also been looking into emulating an ETP server.
My current plan is create an base index at boot.
Then monitor the shared drives via fsmonitor,using it to update my index.
Beside that will be a program to send and receive ETP packets, once I look into and decode them that is.

My hope is that shared databases will happen in V1.5 when it gets here.
Or the ability to query ETP servers from a list.
If so, and I am stuck using linux for my servers, I will emulate everything packets on the server for the shares.

If all of that falls through, I will resume my research into a websocket type index/request system.
Then I use everything on my system, and request the server to send out a request to all the systems on the lan to use everything locally on their shares, which it will then relay back to me.
Allowing them the same function to my shared files of course.

Since I have integrated everything into the folder size column of the personal explorer++ branch I use, I am hoping to add a phantom drive letter with each member of the lan with a share to be a directory in the phantom drive letter.
Not even a clue how to do that yet, but I am studying..

Janus.