File path gets copied automatically when selected with arrow keys in result list

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
jgallow

File path gets copied automatically when selected with arrow keys in result list

Post by jgallow »

When I use the arrow keys to scroll up/down through the result list, the full file name+path is automatically copied to the clipboard. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but if not, is there an option to disable this behavior?

More details:
  • This does not happen with the first press of the 'down' arrow from the search box, but it happens with the second one and/or after clicking randomly in the list and then pressing the arrow keys.
  • The paths are not automatically copied when I select a result in the result list using the mouse.
  • The paths are not automatically copied when I select a result in the result list by first clicking anywhere in the result list, then typing the name of the file to select it.
  • Keyboard shortcuts have not been changed from the default settings.
  • The auto-copied path obeys the "Double quote copy as path" setting.
NotNull

Re: File path gets copied automatically when selected with arrow keys in result list

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for a well written post. Very clear.
jgallow wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:26 pm
  • Keyboard shortcuts have not been changed from the default settings.
This would otherwise be my primary suspect.

Could you please post your (zipped) Everything.ini?
It is most likely located in %APPDATA%\Everything (expands to something like c:\users\jgallow\AppData\Roaming\Everything\everything.ini )
Otherwise it is in the same folder where Everything.exe resides.

BTW: Which version of Everything are you using?
jgallow

Re: File path gets copied automatically when selected with arrow keys in result list

Post by jgallow »

Appreciate it, thanks! Here is a copy of Everything.ini. This is happening with the latest version 1.4.1.935, 64-bit. The same problem also occurred in a few prior versions, but I can't remember the version I was using when it first started.
Attachments
Everything.zip
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Below are the settings in your INI that differ from the "out of the box" ones (for others reading this post).
Those are very "unspectacular" . I mean that in a good way: none of these settings can cause the symptoms you described.
To be sure, I even ran my Everything with your settings: can't reproduce ..

It looks like Everything itself is not the culprit (although the effect of the "Double quote copy as path" setting might suggests otherwise)
@void will probably ask you for a debug log, but in the meantime:
  • What happens if you use the on screen keyboard (OSK.exe) for inputting the arrow keys, instead of a physical keyboard?
  • Are there other - unusual - programs running that might interfere?

-----

Code: Select all

window_x="redacted"
window_y="redacted"
window_wide="redacted"
window_high="redacted"
new_window_key=3142
language=1033
last_options_page=4
double_click_path=1
double_quote_copy_as_path=1
rename_select_filepart_only=1
allow_window_message_filter_dragdrop=0
show_number_of_results_with_selection=1
date_descending_first=1
size_descending_first=1
allow_ntfs_open_file_by_id=1
always_update_folder_recent_change=0
preview_context=0x00000000
preview_release_handler_on_clear=0
sort=Name
run_history_enabled=0
ftp_allow_port=1
ftp_check_data_connection_ip=1
name_column_width=858
path_column_width=1348
size_column_width=192
extension_column_width=192
type_column_width=192
last_write_time_column_pos=3
last_write_time_column_width=306
creation_time_column_width=306
date_accessed_column_width=306
attribute_column_width=140
date_recently_changed_column_width=306
run_count_column_width=192
date_run_column_width=306
file_list_filename_column_width=192
ntfs_volume_guids="redacted"
ntfs_volume_paths="redacted"
ntfs_volume_roots="redacted"
ntfs_volume_includes=1
ntfs_volume_load_recent_changes=0
ntfs_volume_include_onlys="redacted"
ntfs_volume_monitors=1
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is the path that is copied to the clipboard the full path and file name or just the parent folder?

Please try removing the keyboard shortcut for Copy full path and filename:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of show commands containing, type in the following:
    copy full
  • Select File | Copy Full Name to Clipboard.
  • Select Ctrl+Shift+C (Result List)
  • Click Remove.
  • Click OK.

Everything will copy the full path and filename to the clipboard when it receives the WM_COMMAND with ID UI_ID_FILE_COPY_FULL_PATH_AND_NAME (41007)

Normally this will be sent with the key press of Ctrl + Shift + C or when Copy as path was selected from a context menu.
This command could be sent from a third party program.

If the issue persists, could you please send some verbose debug output?
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /verbose
  • Use the arrow keys in the result list to reproduce the issue.
  • After the path has been copied to the clipboard what is shown in the debug console?
To close the debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
therube

Post by therube »

Everything Options -> General --> Keyboard ---> Show commands containing: full name

Should return,
Copy Full Name To Clipboard
With a default of,
Ctrl+Shift+C

Remove that (Remove Button) -> Apply --> OK

Now arrow-key through the results list.
Are the filenames being copied to clipboard?

No!
Then you're done ;-).

Now you need to find the external application that is causing this :-).
Maybe you can change its' shortcut key, or set a different shortcut in Everything.

(Heh. I now see that this is just what void said to do! Hint. Read all replies before replying ;-). Not.)
jgallow

Post by jgallow »

Success! Thank you all for your helpful troubleshooting. For the record, I found no WM_COMMAND 41007 in the debug log, and removing the keyboard shortcut did not solve the problem. This strongly suggested involvement of another running application, as you all have deduced.

It turns out the culprit was "Quick Look," and closing it solved the problem. This is a program that allows the user to hit the spacebar in an Explorer window to see a quick preview of the file (like in macOS), and presumably it works by copying the filename and passing it into the viewer.

It is worth noting that file paths are not copied when scrolling through a regular Explorer window with Quick Look running; it only happens when using an Everything window. Moreover, the Quick Look spacebar-preview feature doesn't even work from an Everything window, so I never suspected that there would be an interaction between the two programs. Also interesting that it obeyed the "double quote copy as path" setting in Everything, as noted.

Overall an interesting and unexpected result. I'm not sure if you would consider this fixable/a bug as far as Everything is concerned (it might be one of those things that would need to be addressed by the developers of both apps) but it would be great if something could be done about it. In the meantime, I might have to look into one of those clipboard-history programs to avoid losing clipboard contents. Thanks to NotNull, therube, and of course void for your assistance.
therube

Post by therube »

QuickLook specifically mentions Everything: Out-of-box support [for] ... Everything.
jgallow

Post by jgallow »

therube wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:58 am QuickLook specifically mentions Everything: Out-of-box support [for] ... Everything.
Funnily enough, I was looking at that page and didn't see the "Everything" bullet point right under my nose. Sounds like it could be a bug with Quick Look (or my particular setup) in that case, since it does not seem to work from within Everything.