Forward & back button and other file browser like features.

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
chiuchimu

Forward & back button and other file browser like features.

Post by chiuchimu »

I've been using Everything as a file browser more than a search engine since I have like 100TB of files and I don't know were anything is anymore. lol.

Anyway, so to make file browsing more effective, I think a button bar with forwards and back button would make navigation a lot better. Also the ability to add menu commands as buttons would be great.

Other things I think are:
1) Tabbed windows so one could go back between searches.
2) A space under the words in the search box were if clicked, it would grays out the word removing it from the search but re-clicking it un-grays the word and adds it back to the search.
3) Adding a simple file browser window as tabs into the Everything window and have context menu that sends folder and/or file name into everything search box. Basically make the file browsing and search browsing seamless. Here is an example of what I mean. I have too much files so I don't know where anything is and I don't remember a lot of the file names but I do put them into folders of the same type and in around the same time period so I throw a bunch of downloaded programs into a folder while a bunch of TV shows goes into another folder. Hence of have scores of folders with TV shows and scores of folders with programs, then folders with music, movies, documents, pictures etc.. etc.. So suppose I want to watch music videos of a particular group but I forgot the name of group but, I do remember I put it in the same folder with a U2 video. Current method is: I search Everything for U2, select "open path" from context menu, look in the folder for the actual group I want to listen to - say Third Eye Blind, copy and paste the file name "Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Live" into Everything. Delete the " - Semi Charmed Live" from the search words. Now I finally have all the music videos Third Eye Blind. Ideally I would like it to work like this:

1) type U2 into search box.
2) Right click on a U2 file and open it in Everything.
3) select a Third eye Blind file name and click the part of the file name you want to select(click "third" once it selects "third", click it twice and it selects "Third Eye" click it 3 times and it selects "Third Eye Blind") and from context menu send those words to searchbox.

This wold be my dream file management system!
void
Developer

Re: Forward & back button and other file browser like features.

Post by void »

Anyway, so to make file browsing more effective, I think a button bar with forwards and back button would make navigation a lot better. Also the ability to add menu commands as buttons would be great.
Optional forward / back buttons on the toolbar is on my TODO list.
For now, please make sure you have enabled Search history from Tools -> Options -> History -> Enable Search History.
Use Alt + Left Arrow and Alt + Right Arrow to go back and forward. This can also be accessed from View -> Goto
1) Tabbed windows so one could go back between searches.
Tabbed windows is also on my TODO list.
2) A space under the words in the search box were if clicked, it would grays out the word removing it from the search but re-clicking it un-grays the word and adds it back to the search.
I can see that being an useful option, I'll consider adding such a feature.
2) Right click on a U2 file and open it in Everything.
I'll consider an option to right click a file and add it to the search bar.

Currently, you can copy the file to the clipboard and pasting it into the search box.
You can even drag drop a file onto the search box if you enable search_edit_drag_accept_files.
3) select a Third eye Blind file name and click the part of the file name you want to select(click "third" once it selects "third", click it twice and it selects "Third Eye" click it 3 times and it selects "Third Eye Blind") and from context menu send those words to searchbox.
Would this conflict with select selecting the result or renaming the result with a single click?
I wonder if this could all be done through the context menu, right click -> Add Third to search / Add Third Eye to search / Add Third Eye Blind to search
What about adding the entire file name to the search box and using your toggle search word suggestion above?

Thanks for the suggestions.
I hope to improve context menu customization for Everything 1.5 and I'll consider your suggestions.
chiuchimu

Re: Forward & back button and other file browser like features.

Post by chiuchimu »

Would this conflict with select selecting the result or renaming the result with a single click?
I wonder if this could all be done through the context menu, right click -> Add Third to search / Add Third Eye to search / Add Third Eye Blind to search
What about adding the entire file name to the search box and using your toggle search word suggestion above?
Yeah your right. Instead. maybe high light part of the file name and right click and "Search Selected" in the context menu.

A lot of file names are very long so pasting the whole name then toggling out the unwanted parts would be inconvenient:

The.Fast.and.the.Furious.Tokyo.Drift.2006.REMASTERED.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-SWTYBLZ
Jurassic.Park.II.The.Lost.World.1997.REMASTERED.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-SWTYBLZ
くらえ!必殺!!猫パンチ★ 〜私たち戦うにゃこたん【レベル5】〜 @2019.2.9 わーすた定期ライブ わーすた ぷらねっと~Cinema (2160p_30fps_VP9 LQ-128kbit_AAC).mp4
[一眼4K動画] わーすた 「くらえ!必殺!!猫パンチ☆ 〜私たち戦うにゃこたん【レベル5】〜」JapanExpoThailand 2019 (2160p_30fps_VP9 LQ-128kbit_AAC).mp4

Thanks for considering my suggestions