Can Windows Search still be replaced in Win10?

General discussion related to "Everything".
etl

Can Windows Search still be replaced in Win10?

Post by etl »

I'd really like to replace the default Windows Search (preferably the one launched from Start) with Everything, but the most recent tutorial on doing so seems to be for Win7. It relies on being able to change the default program for the search protocol within the Control Panel, which is no longer possible after Windows 10 v1803. Does anyone know if this can still be done another way?
tuska

Re: Can Windows Search still be replaced in Win10?

Post by tuska »

- Click on the Start-button in Windows 10
- type: services.msc (just write in the pop-up window)
- press ENTER
- scroll down in the "Services" window to the "Windows Search" entry
- double click on this line, tab "General" - "Start type":
    select 'Deactivated', then press the "Apply" button and then "Service status" => press the "Exit" button
- OK, DONE, i.e. indexing is terminated
horst.epp

Re: Can Windows Search still be replaced in Win10?

Post by horst.epp »

etl wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 am I'd really like to replace the default Windows Search (preferably the one launched from Start) with Everything, but the most recent tutorial on doing so seems to be for Win7. It relies on being able to change the default program for the search protocol within the Control Panel, which is no longer possible after Windows 10 v1803. Does anyone know if this can still be done another way?
In the current version of Everything it doesn't make sense to replace the Windows search indexer with it.
There are no indexed stored content in Everything so its only useful for search by name
which can easy be started with a hotkey.