Network Drive

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Sherlock

Network Drive

Post by Sherlock »

I cannot get Everything to search my Network drive. I go to Options->Indexes->NTFS and I see my hard drives but not the Network drive, nor a way to add the drive. The network drive is a 1TB Passport connected to the router via USB. I did not installit and not sure how it works (it works fine and can be accessed by the three computers connected to the router). I am new at this so be gentle ;)
Thanks.
NotNull

Re: Network Drive

Post by NotNull »

For non-NTFS disks and network folders you can use Folder indexing

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask them here (a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here to help you).
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Thanks NotNull. My network drive is a NTFS drive. It seems like it should appear in the list, but it doesn't.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Ah, I wasn't completely clear. Sorry.

Next attempt: :)
NTFS indexing is only for local NTFS disks. That means: the harddsiks inside your PC/laptop as well as those NTFS disks that are (USB) connected to your PC/laptop.

That is because Everything reads a hidden part of the NTFS disk to build it's index.
Building the index this way is *very* fast.
This hidden part is not accessible over the network.
In that case you should use folder indexing.

Non-NTFS disks do not have this 'hidden part' and should also use folder indexing.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Excellent. It works.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Sherlock
MartinPC

Post by MartinPC »

NotNull wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 pm For non-NTFS disks and network folders you can use Folder indexing.
And a belated thank-you from me. I just connected a 4TB NTFS USB 3.0 drive to my router (as interim poor man's NAS), mapped it to a drive letter, and was left scratching my head when it didn't show up in Everything's list of indexable NTFS drives. (If I ever read Everything's documentation in its entirety, which is doubtful, I had definitely forgotten what folder indexing was for.) Anyway, the new network drive was pretty full and it took a while for Everything to finish indexing it, but problem solved, so again, thank you.

PS: The jury is still out as to how the drive performs attached to the router as opposed to directly attached to the computer. I think transfers involving many small files might take longer through the router, and the drive seems to take a while to come online after a computer reboot, but the convenience of having it always available is a big plus.