Searching in previous search results

General discussion related to "Everything".
moody

Searching in previous search results

Post by moody »

Hi! I'm wondering if there is an option of searching in previous search results? For example, I have a macro and want to find a file inside the results independently from macro itself. Something like nesting structure in search line:

Code: Select all

macro: >> nested, but separate search query
I was trying to find an answer in faq and support sections, but couldn't. Maybe there are some workarounds to reach similar logic?

UPDATE: By saying "previous search results" I actually mean folders and files, that have been found previously.
NotNull

Re: Searching in previous search results

Post by NotNull »

It's very likely that I don't understand what you are asking, but let me try anyway :)

Attempt 1:
You probably use this already.
Example: When you are searching for
ext:doc
, you will find all files that have extension .doc.
When you expand that search query like this:
ext:doc blabla
, you are searching for files with "blabla" in the name AND file extension .doc (your "previous search results")

Attempt 2:
When you have a macro that searches for all files that were modified today (
dm:today
, you can export the results to an EFU file (Menu:File > Export ).
A couple of days later, when you want to know what .txt files were changed that day, you can
- Open the EFU file in Everything ( Menu:File > Open File List )
- Search for
ext:txt

- When done, close the EFU file to go back to your 'normal' Everything ( Menu:File > Close File List )
moody

Post by moody »

I knew that was coming :D Sorry for my awkward explanation and let me try once again, even though I have already solved the problem)

What I was trying to do was to constrain the search scope to some folders and then be able to search through the content of these folders.
In simple cases we can reach that by listing paths with the "path:" syntax, but let's imagine hundreds of folders with similar names like "photos_mm.dd.yyyy", scattered through various disks. Thanks to regex we can easily find them all with the query "regex:^photos_\d+\.\d+\.\d+$", but i was misled by the phrase in the support section:
Regex overrides the search syntax. Search operators, wildcards, macros, modifiers and functions do not work in regex mode.
I thought regex don't work with path: modifier and some attempts to use them together only confirmed my delusion. But it turned out, that path:regex: works fine and I was simply using wrong regex :lol:

Although I believe that syntax like "target_query in: scope_query" or "scope_query >> target_query" or "scope:scope_query target_query" would be more intuitive for searching in subfolders and content of files.

Anyway, thanks for answering!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

moody wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:18 am Anyway, thanks for answering!
Thanks for feedback and clarification! (Man, was I wrong! :D)
Glad you figured it out yourself.

BTW: Somewhere on these forums is a suggestion to extend the current query language to make searches like yours possible.