The folders / drives in the folders indexes do not appear in the search results?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

The folders / drives in the folders indexes do not appear in the search results?

Post by Biff »

The folders / drives in the folders indexes
do not appear in the search results obviously.

How could I make them to be shown there? Respectivel include them in a filter:
void
Developer

Re: The folders / drives in the folders indexes do not appear in the search results?

Post by void »

Is Everything finding any results on your Z: drive? -If you search for z: are any results shown?

To create a filter to show results only on your Z: drive:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Set the Name to: Z: drive only
  • Set the Search to: z:
  • Click OK.
To create a filter to show results only from your Z:\Filme folder:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
  • Set the Name to: Z:\Filme
  • Set the Search to: z:\filme\
  • Click OK.
Biff

Re: The folders / drives in the folders indexes do not appear in the search results?

Post by Biff »

Is Everything finding any results on your Z: drive? -If you search for z: are any results shown?
Yes, there are results but that is because Everything uses the NTFS indexes, I think. Actually some items should be shown in the results twice or three times (NTFS and the two folder indexes). When I enter "Z:\Filme" in the search field the content is shown but there seems to be missing some items. And all of those items should be shown twice (NTFS and folder indexes). How could I find out which of those indexes is shown in the results? May be, because of the drive letters not being removed when the drive is removed Everything shows the drive to be empty.
To create a filter to show results only on your Z: drive:

In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
Set the Name to: Z: drive only
Set the Search to: z:
Click OK.

To create a filter to show results only from your Z:\Filme folder:

In Everything, from the Search menu, click Add to filters....
Set the Name to: Z:\Filme
Set the Search to: z:\filme\
Click OK.
So the folder indexes should be shown in the results without having to add them, I assume, so this should find the items in those indexes:
Image?
void
Developer

Post by void »

NTFS volumes are automatically included, you should be seeing double results for your Z: drive and triple results for files under Z:\Filme.
How could I find out which of those indexes is shown in the results?
Please try the File System Index (FSI) search function: fsi:
It may take some trial and error to find the correct index.
Start with searching for fsi:0 then fsi:1 then fsi:2 and so on..
0 will be your first NTFS index, 1 your second NTFS index and 2 your third NTFS index and so on.
After your NTFS indexes, fsi: will start referring to your folder indexes, so you might find fsi:3 is your first folder index.

The indextype:folder search function will be available in the next release of Everything, which will make this easier..

All folder indexes should be shown in the results by default.

Please try forcing a your folder indexes to update, after forcing a folder index update, do you see the expected results:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Rescan All Now.
  • Wait for rescanning to complete.
  • Click OK.
  • Do you see the expected results when searching for Z:?
Biff

Post by Biff »

NTFS volumes are automatically included, you should be seeing double results for your Z: drive and triple results for files under Z:\Filme.
Yes, but I don't. Sorry, I meant folders indexes, are they added automatically?
So this will find the folders indexes? How could I recognize a folder index, distinguish a folder index for Z: and a NTFS for Z:?
It may take some trial and error to find the correct index.
Start with searching for fsi:0 then fsi:1 then fsi:2 and so on..
0 will be your first NTFS index, 1 your second NTFS index and 2 your third NTFS index and so on.
After your NTFS indexes, fsi: will start referring to your folder indexes, so you might find fsi:3 is your first folder index.
I have about 30 NTFS indexes here, it acutally should be about 20, 25 indexes (drives) or so.

fsi:3 (also with higher numbers) does not show anything, there seems to be anything wrong:

Win very often gives the wrong letters to the drives so different drives get the same letter, e.g. E: and so there are more indexes:
The indextype:folder search function will be available in the next release of Everything, which will make this easier..
That is great!
All folder indexes should be shown in the results by default.
So when I create a filter I would do it the same way I would do with a NTFS index as with a folder index. If I would add to the filter "Z:\Filme" both indexes would be found, the results would shown twice.
Please try forcing a your folder indexes to update, after forcing a folder index update, do you see the expected results:

In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the Folders tab on the left.
Click Rescan All Now.
Wait for rescanning to complete.
Click OK.
Do you see the expected results when searching for Z:?
I have tried it with another, new index, yes, they, the results are shown twice.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote:If I would add to the filter "Z:\Filme" both indexes would be found, the results would shown twice.
I think @void meant to use
fsi:12
in the search field of the filter (replace 12 with the actual numbre)

I wrote a script once to enumerate the FSI's, like FSI(0) = C: ; ... ; FSI(23) = "Z:\Filme".
Might be useful if you have a lot of drives and folders to index.
Let's see if Everything can find it :-)
(Will post it later today)
Biff

Post by Biff »

I think @void meant to use
fsi:12
in the search field of the filter (replace 12 with the actual numbre)
I am not quite sure to understand. fsi:0 to fsi: 2 shows a result fsi:3 does not and the higher numbers do not, too.
I wrote a script once to enumerate the FSI's, like FSI(0) = C: ; ... ; FSI(23) = "Z:\Filme".
Might be useful if you have a lot of drives and folders to index.
Let's see if Everything can find it :-)
(Will post it later today)
Sorry, I do not understand, what for is that script? Enumerate? the FSIs? Yes, I hope Everything will find it. Here Everything does not work properly anymore because of the problems with the drive letters all the time.
OK, thanks for the script.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

@Biff: I tried to post script + explanation yesterday, but each time my IP-address got blocked. Probably because I used some 'illegal' keywords
Will try again later today.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Oops, alright, illegal activities here, hope you can hack the forum / the Internet and upload those, cannot wait for it, thank you.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

• Put this PowerShell scrpt where your Everything.ini is. Most likely location:%APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
  • Run FSI.ps1

Output will be similar to:

Code: Select all

[0]   "C:"   "\\\\?\\Volume{bbb1ecb4-0000-0000-0000-f01500000000}"
    [1]   "T:"    "\\\\?\\Volume{ccc1ecb4-0000-0000-0000-f01500000000}"

(snip)

[23]  "Z:\\Filme"
    [24]  "Z:\\"
    Press Enter to continue...:

Check if the FSI is correct:
  • Enter fsi:23 in the Everything search-bar
  • See if it is indeed the content of Z:\Filme
  • Add the found fsi to the Everything filter: fsi:23 and name that filter something like Filme (Z)
EDIT: Can't post the code. Everytime I get blocked (=no longer allowed on the voidtools website). The script is now in the attachment.
Attachments
FSI.zip
(666 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks!
Run FSI.ps1
Sorry, how do I do that? May with it: Image

This is shown then: Image

When I press ENTER the window disappears.

fsi:23 shows the content of S: obviously.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Yes, you found the right way to start that script :)
But your output seems a little odd to me. There should be way more entries :s
Would you send me your Everything.ini so that I can analyze what's going wrong?
(Might be something wrong with the script or with your ini settings)

BTW: That fsi:23 was just an example. The output of the script should show you which fsi number corresponds to Z:\Filme. That could be 23 or 34 or ...
Biff

Post by Biff »

Very sorry, didn't made it to upload the ini yesterday, couldn't upload a txt, ini, even zip didn't work or another extension or entering the code in the post, then I got totally blocked from this entire web site, do not know what sense this makes.

Here the ini: https://pastebin.com/a6QnHEdH
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I hear you! That's the same thing that happened to me (about 20 times ...).
That new "voidtools-police" (BitNinja) is *very* strict!
As soon as it detects some 'illegal' text, you will be blocked. Unblocking has to be done by answering a captcha (in my case even in a separate browser, due to my Firefox settings).

I think that next time, if you zip the INI file and post that .zip (you could also send it to me through a private message , if you like that better) things should be OK.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank goodness!
That new "voidtools-police" (BitNinja) is *very* strict!
Well...I guess, I would not tell it "strict" but...
Unblocking has to be done by answering a captcha (in my case even in a separate browser, due to my Firefox settings).
Yes, those re-captchas. I am not able to solve them, the picture windows keep on occurring, there were times I was able to solve them after 7, 8, 15 windows, sometimes 4, 5 or so, but that was too much effort, since some months I do not try to solve any captchas anymore and will never again, very cruel those captchas (and I do not like to work for Google or such).
I think that next time, if you zip the INI file and post that .zip (you could also send it to me through a private message , if you like that better) things should be OK.
Yes, I would do it, good idea, thank you.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Oops, I tried to add the link but it is not there...odd...

Here it is again, the ini: https://pastebin.com/a6QnHEdH
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Biff wrote:Oops, I tried to add the link but it is not there...odd...

Here it is again, the ini: https://pastebin.com/a6QnHEdH
The link came through fine. I can even see 2 links. Anyhow: better 2 than 0 :)

I just analyzed your Everything.ini. There are only 3 disks/folders defined in the INI: C: , I: and E: (all reported by the script)

That means I clearly have no idea about the inner workings of how the disks/folders are defined in Everything.ini OR you use a different INI file with your Everything (there must be more explanations, but those two are the only ones I can come up with at the moment).

I assume the first reason ( = I have no idea), but to make sure, would you please:
  • Start Everything
  • Enter
    about:config
    in the Everything search bar (+Enter)
    (Your active Everything.ini will now open in Notepad)
  • Save this file somewhere (for example: on your desktop)
  • Post it on the forum (zipped!) or on Pastebin
Biff

Post by Biff »

The link came through fine. I can even see 2 links. Anyhow: better 2 than 0 :)
Unbelievable, where is the second one? One is in the post above, I cannot see the other one.

Ah, sorry, yes, your 2nd explanation is absolutely correct, the wrong ini, the one of the other Everything, sorry, here is the right one: https://pastebin.com/vw0ywDZB
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for saving me from an identity crisis! :D

This new INI makes a lot more sense!
When I run the script against this new INI, I can see that Z:\Filme can be addressed as
fsi:35

When you enter that in the Everything search bar, you should get the content of your Z:\Filme.

Now you can create a filter with that to get rid of the double/triple entries (that was the original goal):
2018-10-26 20_02_09-New Filter.png
2018-10-26 20_02_09-New Filter.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 8243 times

I will take a closer look at your INI, as there are quite a few disks (volumes) defined multiple times. H: and one of the E:'s for example.
To be continued ....
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thanks for saving me from an identity crisis! :D
No no, no reason to say thank you...now I have one.
Now you can create a filter with that to get rid of the double/triple entries (that was the original goal):
Now I see, that is very great, many thanks!
I will take a closer look at your INI, as there are quite a few disks (volumes) defined multiple times. H: and one of the E:'s for example.
To be continued ....
Many thanks. Yes, because the drives very often lose their assigned drive letters and Win automatically obvioulsy assigns E: then.