Menu item for multiple renaming of files and folders

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
tuska

Menu item for multiple renaming of files and folders

Post by tuska »

Hi,
Please add the following submenu item.

"Edit" - "Advanced" - "Rename - markings"
OR
"Edit" - "Advanced" - "Rename - multiple selections"

Argumentation:
There are already sub-menu items under "Advanced", namely "Advanced Copy to Folder..." and "Advanced Move to Folder...",
and a user is shown via the menu that this possibility exists in "Everything".

Another possibility would be to rename the menu item "File" - "Rename F2" to "Rename [markings] F2" or "Rename [multiple selections] F2".
In my opinion it should be expressed somewhere in a menu entry that multiple renaming is also possible with "Everything".

Regards
Karl
therube

Re: Menu item for multiple renaming of files and folders

Post by therube »

I'd look at it that actions are inherently plural, unless there is some specific indication or if logic would dictate otherwise.

Open
Open Path
Copy
Delete
Invert

& who knows what else, will work on individual or multiple files.
tuska

Post by tuska »

therube wrote:I'd look at it that actions are inherently plural, unless there is some specific indication or if logic would dictate otherwise.
Basically I agree with you, but especially with this function, I as a user would have only come to the conclusion that these
function exists if I had selected multiple files and then executed F2.

In my case it's rather random, because renaming F2 I interpret as one renaming and not a multiple renaming
with extended mask (new format, RegEx, etc.)

Although I've been using "Everything" for quite some time now, I've personally only just been informed by a user
in another forum that this enhanced function exists at all.
therube

Post by therube »

Yep, that is possible if you've never attempted an F2 with multiple files selected.

(I will note that Rename is potentially "dangerous". "Dangerous" in that there is little in the way of "checks", i.e., a user making an unexpected mistake in the renaming. That said, I use multiple renaming all the time.

[And just the other day, I made that mistake ;-). It was only two files, & it took me a couple moments before I realized what I had done & where the files went. [I was prefacing the file names with "zzz ", but what I ended up doing, a typo essentially, was that instead of prefacing the existing names, I replaced the names with "zzz ". Once I realized that, I used Everything to find files named "zzz " ;-). Having found them, I then used Everything to rename them to what they were/should have been.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'll consider using the phrase Rename Markings or Rename Multiple Selections or Rename Multiple Files when more than one file is selected.
This would most likely go under the File menu and right click context menu.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The status bar help could do with some refining too, as it only specifies "Renames the selected item." when hovering over Rename.

I'll add a Undo/Restore previous filenames button when the multiple file rename fails to rename all files.
reitwal

Post by reitwal »

I think advanced renaming might also be useful for single files, e.g. to convert to uppercase or lowercase.

Thanks for the fantastic program!
tuska

Post by tuska »

Thanks to all for the feedback.
I am pleased that this proposal is being considered.

Regards
Karl
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote:I'd look at it that actions are inherently plural, unless there is some specific indication or if logic would dictate otherwise.

Open
Open Path
Copy
Delete
Invert

& who knows what else, will work on individual or multiple files.
Rename is the exception here. It works on single files.
Try to rename multiple files in File Explorer ... or any 3rd party filemanager (Altap Salamander in your case, IIRC): rename is for a single file; if multiple file-rename is supported, that is done through a separate menu entry.

I wasn't aware of multi-renaming files in Everything either (until @tuska educated me).
And although it's nice to discover new hidden gems - and I certainly do like this one! - this one deserves to be more "in the open".