Search Everything concept applied to filtering text files

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
jmfsbt

Search Everything concept applied to filtering text files

Post by jmfsbt »

Hello, congratulations for the software, I am using it for years and changed the way I work in windows.
For example, I generate a lot of files in my everyday work and I just add key words to the filename, like a prefix working as a date code, for example, 18A01 is created in January (A) the first, 2018, and 15L31 is December (month 'L'), 2015. Also, multiple tags in folder/file names help finding.
The extreme speed of searching together with the complex queries make me save "fake" empty files in which the filename is something like a log of my work everyday, for example: '18J06 posting a new topic in Void forums, check answers next day çSoft.log"

Sorry for the long introduction. I am really writing to ask for a text editor which can apply the search engine beneath this software to filter all the lines in the text file and showing only those fitting the search query (the same interface of the software but oriented to lines in a text file, not to filename". I have tried a lot of other file search programs and noone is so fast and clean as the result window of Search Everything.

Thank you for your attention and sorry in the case you find the suggestion a little bit out of the software main scope

Jaime Muñoz
Sevilla, Spain
jmfsbt

Re: Search Everything concept applied to filtering text files

Post by jmfsbt »

Thank you for the information in that thread, I have found very usefull the CSVQF autohot key script for doing what I need.
Well, my file is plain text and have no fields, but I can manage that (for example adding a "fake" field, like line number). Also, the CSVed is very usefull!!
Another option that I tested was glogg http://glogg.bonnefon.org/index.html, is exactly what I need, but can not apply rules, just one simple query.
Best regards, Jaime Muñoz
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

jmfsbt wrote:glogg [..] is exactly what I need, but can not apply rules, just one simple query.
What do you mean by rules?

BTW: I think you might like Text Filter too.
jmfsbt

Post by jmfsbt »

By rules I mean combining queries with Booleans like AND, OR and NOT. With Search everything you can write several words in any order and you get the files matching all the words.

However, most of the software searching for text in files does not do that. Of course you can use regular expressions, but they are much more complicated than the simple syntax of everything.

In the case of glogg, you cannot write something like “DOG AND CAT”, or “DOG NOT CAT”, you can write only one word.

I would like to find a text editor in which you can filter all the lines and then edit those matching the query, keeping all the other lines hidden. Should be very nice to include the search engine working in the Search Everything.

Jaime
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Then you should definitely take a look at Text Filter.
There is hardly any documentation, but you can use queries like
cat dog
dog cat
or
dog -cat

EDIT: Forget about what I just said. You are looking for an editor, not a viewer ....
Can't help you with that.
jmfsbt

Post by jmfsbt »

No, no, thanks a lot for Text filter, it is very usefull for me ! !

Maybe in a future I will try to develop an editor by myself...

Best regards, Jaime
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Thank you NotNull for bringing Text Filter.
This program looks almost exactly what I searched for with CSV Viewer program.
It missing a Text Input field for typing in a char/string as a separator, so you get a spreadsheet view.
and RTL support.
Maybe in a future I will try to develop an editor by myself...
I don't know how much void is interested with bringing text searching to Everything.
plugin, voidText?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome!
robertcollier4

Post by robertcollier4 »

Checkout SublimeText, with its powerful plugin API, it is able to do what you want. And configurable with hotkeys and custom behavior.
https://superuser.com/questions/452189/ ... ime-text-2
https://github.com/davidpeckham/sublime-filterlines - the Demo image here shows exactly your use case.