path length displayed in extra column?

General discussion related to "Everything".
randfee

path length displayed in extra column?

Post by randfee »

since one can search for path lengths I think it should be easy to display path lengths in a column but I can't seem to find it.
Does anyone know if this is a possible viewing option at the moment?

regards, randfee
NotNull

Re: path length displayed in extra column?

Post by NotNull »

No, not at the moment. All the current possibilities are shown when you right-click one of the column headers.
In another thread @void indicated that in a future version there might be an addition of extra columns (mainly related to audio-, video- and picture-metadata). But I can't find that thread right now, sorry. Maybe your search-skills are more developed :)
randfee

Post by randfee »

NotNull wrote:Maybe your search-skills are more developed :)
sadly no, I was unable to find anything regarding this. I'll see if I'll phrase a feature request but at this point I feel a bit reluctant to add to the mere endless list because I'd rather see version 1.5 get released earlier without my additional requests than contribute to delaying it further :?

but the total path length information would be really useful in the windows world since so many simply do not stick to the limit and constantly overdo it, especially in messy company networks like ours. ;-)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

randfee wrote: but the total path length information would be really useful in the windows world since so many simply do not stick to the limit and constantly overdo it, especially in messy company networks like ours. ;-)
Maybe this thread can be of interest to you?
randfee

Post by randfee »

thanks guys. I'm aware of other means to do it, I just thought since it's already in everything's database it'd be the right place to do it.
I'm using path:len:> 255 all the time :P but in this order one doesn't see which ones are in danger of becoming too long. I'm using XY Plorer as a file viewer now, which helps.

regards
randfee
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

randfee wrote:I'm using XY Plorer as a file viewer now, which helps.
Just curious: how does XYPlorer help with long path lengths?
randfee

Post by randfee »

haha LOL.... it does help since it has the option to display the path length in a column ;-)
so one can quickly assess if the current path or renaming is going to be a problem! Other decent file browsers offer this as well of course.
It would just be a convenience to see the path lengths in everything as well, that's all. It's definitely not the most important feature to add if one has a decent file browser.
Finding the too lengthy ones is no problem of course in everything:

Code: Select all

path:len:>260
EDIT:
Big find - thanks for asking.... now I just found out that I can indeed edit file/folder names that are too long using XYplorer, which doesn't work in Windows Explorer. I always had to go do it in the linux console of the file server in order so solve these mishaps on the SMB mounts.
Many thanks... and the info to you - which is probably what you were asking in the first place :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

That's a cool option!

I just re-tested XYPlorer (it was one of the main contenders for 'my new filemanager' . Can't remember why I dropped it atm.).
Turns out, you can also display paths that are too long - define your own length - in a different colour, using Color Filters
(Menu:Tools > Configuration > Colors and styles > Color Filter) Nice!

Thanks for your explanation. Appreciated!