Granular Folder Size

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
eagleeyez

Granular Folder Size

Post by eagleeyez »

Hi,

I would like to ask for a feature or maybe a way to get this via the search commands...

When I search for folders in a specific path, it will be great if it is possible to trigger the folder size option so it become easier to tell which folders who take more space...

example .unwanted folder in qbittorrent

I can do this type of query:
"X:\qbittorrent\recovery\path\" .unwanted empty:

this give me all the empty folders that I can delete safely... but some of the folders aren't and it is hard to tell which one contains stuff to look at in that specific folder without having to index all folder sizes in the database which can take longer and make the database huge...

so the main idea is to make certain function have their own temporary indexing database and this can apply to different kind features offered by everything or maybe move the index folder size and other to be per drive settings instead of being global.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Re: Granular Folder Size

Post by void »

Perhaps a "True Folder Size" column could be added, this column could show the true folder size. (whereas the "Everything folder size" only shows sizes for files that are indexed).

Of course this information would need to be gathered in the background and would be quite slow, but fast enough to be useful so you can toggle this column on and off to see which folders are empty and which are huge..

I'll consider this option, and others, thanks for the suggestion.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

eagleeyez wrote: When I search for folders in a specific path, it will be great if it is possible to trigger the folder size option so it become easier to tell which folders who take more space...
Try WizTree.
without having to index all folder sizes in the database which can take longer and make the database huge...
Did you try it?
I highly doubt (after doing the calculations) if that is the case.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

@void: I hope you didn't forget about this!

@NotNull: you didn't get the request unfortunately and it can be my fault, I just which if I can always do some visual animated explanation so it will be easier for everyone to understand but it's really time-consuming and hard sometimes, other than that I am used to TreeSize and WhizTree and many other alike softwares but they don't do what everything is good at.
therube

Post by therube »

Maybe something here, search.php?keywords=topmost&terms=all&a ... mit=Search?

To find the topmost "empty" folders for pruing, I'll typically start of with something like:

Code: Select all

M:  childfoldercount:>=0  size:0  parents:3
Sort by Path (usually makes similar path "types" display in "order", makes it easy to grab a group of empty trees with a pretty good feel that you'll be comfortable in deleting them)
And I'll check file properties (Alt+Enter) to confirm that (Windows Explorer) also says that they're "empty"

Then I'll increment parents:4 -> 5 -> 6 ... (starting from low number & working up helps to avoid deleting a parent before [Windows delete] has gotten to its child [or is it vice-versa?], in any case...)