Keeps Rescanning To Point of Unusable

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
dave9

Keeps Rescanning To Point of Unusable

Post by dave9 »

Everything 1.4.1.877 (x64) on Win7 x64

I have it set (in Options | Indexes | Folders) for all folders to scan once a week (every Sunday at 3:AM). This includes several network folders, takes a fair amount of time to complete.

It's doing a complete scan every few minutes. It may be scanning more of the time than it's not scanning! If someone can assist in how I can troubleshoot this, I would be grateful.

The only thing that comes to mind is that possibly I have a buggy external USB HDD that disconnects and reconnects. I never have a problem with it doing file copy operations, but wonder about it because occasionally if watching a longer video from that volume it will freeze the video player while that doesn't seem to happen with the same file copied from that volume onto another one. Besides that it has been like this for well over a year, it is not a suddenly failing drive.

Possibly I am barking up the wrong path, but if not, there are a couple of changes in Everything that I PLEAD for:

- Do not rescan when a removable drive is plugged in or have a setting to enable/disable that.
- Do not keep everything from being able to search the file database it had already built, while it is rescanning. Right now while it rescans, it can do nothing else. It would be much better to be able to keep using the old database until a new one replaces it *instantly*.

I suppose I could unplug the drive/volume in question to see if it changes Everything's behavior but I really need that volume online. I don't even use most of the powerful search features Everything has so if there is some other search app that would just give me basic searches by filename and not interrupt workflow with rescans except when scheduled that would be great.

Thanks!
void
Developer

Re: Keeps Rescanning To Point of Unusable

Post by void »

Please try disabling "folder update rescan asap":
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /folder_update_rescan_asap=0
When folder_update_rescan_asap is disabled, Everything will only update the folder at the specified scheduled time.
When folder_update_rescan_asap is enabled, Everything may rescan the folder at anytime (usually after starting Everything) after the last scheduled update was missed.
dave9

Post by dave9 »

Thanks. I have entered the /folder_update_rescan_asap=0 and confirmed that it is now in the INI file. I have exited and restarted Everything.

It loaded and I searched for a filename, it found that file and I just left Everything open on the desktop showing that search result. About 10 minutes passed and it is now doing a complete rescan again. The problem remains.

It is not missing the last scheduled update, I leave the system on so it should be doing that scheduled update. Every few minutes it keeps doing a complete rescan of all folders over and over again.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything has detected the database is corrupt.

When Everything detects a corrupt database, it will attempt to reindex all volumes.

Could you please send some debug output after Everything has started rescanning your folders: http://www.voidtools.com/privacy/
dave9

Post by dave9 »

I wasn't sure exactly when to run that command.

I entered /debug_log while Everything was doing a rescan, which resulted in a 203KB file.

Once Everything finished doing the rescan, I ran the command again which resulted in a 268K file.

Which should I email, or both?
void
Developer

Post by void »

It needs to be entered before Everything does a rescan.

If possible, wait for another rescan to occur.

When debug logging is enabled, Everything will continue to log messages to %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt until Everything is closed.
dave9

Post by dave9 »

Previously I stated the log file was 268KB but it has now grown to 1.1MB and keeps growing. I have attached that to an email I sent to you.

Thanks.
dave9

Post by dave9 »

I have closed Everything, deleted the log file and restarted everything, then entered the log command again.

It has created a new log file that is presently 507KB but still growing in file size. Everything has not yet started a rescan.

Am I correct that I am to wait until Everything completes its first rescan, THEN make a copy of the log to send, or should I exit Everything, completely close it, and then make a copy of the file? I am confused that the file keeps growing when it seemingly isn't doing anything.
dave9

Post by dave9 »

Okay, I have started over.

This time I wiped out the old log, started Everything, and entered the log command.

Everything had not yet started scanning. It sat open for a few minutes then started rescanning.

Once it finished rescanning I copied the log file and it is attached to the email I just sent a minute ago.

Thanks,

Dave
dave9

Post by dave9 »

I've disabled Index Folder Size as instructed and "so far" I don't notice it rescanning when it shouldn't.

One of my volumes does have folders with contents that are potentially changing in size veryfrequently, is it possible that if the folder size changes too often that it would force a rescan? Not that it necessarily matters in my use, I can do without the Folder Size feature if doing so resolves my issue.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

It is possible for the db to become corrupt if you have folder size indexing enabled or have a exclude filter or folder set.

Everything 1.4.1.884 should fix the issue:
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.4.1.884.x86.zip
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.4.1.884.x64.zip
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

void wrote:It is possible for the db to become corrupt if you have folder size indexing enabled or have a exclude filter or folder set.

Everything 1.4.1.834 should fix the issue:
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.4.1.834.x86.zip
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.4.1.834.x64.zip
I guess you mean version 1.4.1.884 :)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, sorry, I've modified my post.