Everything as "where is it"

General discussion related to "Everything".
science2002

Everything as "where is it"

Post by science2002 »

ET is a gem. I keep track also of my movable HDDs. Even when they are not mounted I can search what they contain. Hence I use ET also like a more dedicated program such as "where is it".
Now the question. Portable HDDs and USB pen drives do not mount always to the same drive letter. And I have so many of them that, if I want to keep track of all, I would be left without free drive letters anyway. Usually each drive is called (or can be called) with a name. For instance C: is called "Local Drive", the USB Pen drive is called the "San disk", from the producer, etc.
ET does show the letter drive, but not the name of the drive, at least in my case. Is it possible in some way to show it, or to identify (apart the drive letter) an individual partition or HDD? Let say that I search my_resume.doc and it is in my Pen drive: I have more than one, and at the moment no one is mounted. I would like to see in the search results the following or something similar:

San disk (N:):\Documents\my_resume.doc (now it shows just: N:\Documents\my_resume.doc)

That would make ET a good "where is it" substitute. Is it possible? Are there workarounds?
Thanks.
science2002

Re: Everything as "where is it"

Post by science2002 »

This link seems to offer some possible solutions.
https://superuser.com/questions/244579/ ... om-windows
I cannot test the program mentioned (needs FrameNet, that I do not use and want), but it seems that it can
give in the context menu Internet Path (file://computer...), Unix Path (C:/folder/file) and Cygwin Path (/cygdrive/c/folder/file). The latter in particular - if I undestood correctly, and if Cygwin Path works also for removable drives - could be an answer to the "where is it" question, for those drives that are offline, but are kept cached in the database.
maxfactor

Post by maxfactor »

Once a time I asked David for a similar question (just for removable hardware, not for remote drives)

Q:

I have an usb pen FAT32 formatted, so I add it to Everything as a folder.
Sometimes, if there are already other usb drive attached, that pen get a different drive letter.

Do you think that you can intercept those undeground variation?

For example could we add those kind of device by specifing the "drive system name" or even better the "volume serial number" ?

A:

Probably by volume guid, added to my TODO list.
science2002

Post by science2002 »

Hi maxfactor,
yours is an additional twist in what I am looking for. Namely, if with ET I keep history on, I would not like to see twice (or more) in the database the same pendrive contents: once because it appeared in letter F:/ and twice because another time it appered in letter G:/.

But my request was a bit simpler - at least to me - though not less complete as yours. That is, can ET show the name of the drive of the individual result? In this case it does not matter if I mounted in the same drive letter two pendrives.

If for instance the results of my search were:
Sandisk(F:)/Users/Documents/My_resume.doc
HPdrive(F:)/Backup/Files/My_resume.doc
I would be happy, since there is no confusion in which pendrives the files are.

With this solution, though, it exists still the problem of the same pendrive mounted in two different letters. In this case with history on, ET will show double results. Your request will resolve this drawback too.
maxfactor

Post by maxfactor »

Probably your question is about an uncommon case.

I think that usually on the same computer the operating system assign a different removable drive letter to each removable device.

It is uncommon that on the same system you mount for example a pendrive as F: then you detach it and insert a new one and this latter receive the previous F: drive letter.

But if this is your case you should probably use a filelist for each removable device (thus maybe you would loose monitoring and so automatic content update).

The best solution should be ET taking care of the Volume GUID, because it is really unique, unlike the volume name... ;)