Feature Request - Allow excluded results to still show up

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
brian12

Feature Request - Allow excluded results to still show up

Post by brian12 »

Thank you for a great tool.

One feature I would love would be an alternative to "Enable exclude list" like "deprioritize exclude list". This would cause excluded results to:
A) Be slightly greyed out
B) Always show up on the bottom of results.

Personally, I'd love to exclude things like my recycle bin and backup folders, but fear that someday I might unknowingly lose relevant search results after doing so.

A more generalized approach would be the ability to create arbitrary filters (e.g., to cause color-coding and sorting), though personally a "deprioritize exclude list" option would be sufficient.
Stamimail

Re: Feature Request - Allow excluded results to still show up

Post by Stamimail »

I'm thinking about:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5510
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5697

Edit: (general note)
I couldn't set Run Count to negative number like -1, for trying to sort the results by Run Count, and get all -1 at bottom.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You can modify your Everything filter (the default filter) to exclude folders like your recycle bin and backup folders. Additional filters can be added to search these specific folders.

To modify the Everything filter to exclude your recycle bin and backup folder:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Click the Everything filter and click Edit.
  • Change the search to:
    !c:\$recycle.bin\ !d:\$recycle.bin\ !d:\backup\
    where d:\backup is your backup folder and where c:\$recycle.bin\ is the recycle bin on the C: drive, copy this for each drive you have (eg: !d:\$recycle.bin\ !e:\$recycle.bin\ !f:\$recycle.bin\ !g:\$recycle.bin\).
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Now when the Everything filter is active, your backup and recycle bin folders will be excluded.

To add a recycle bin and backup folder search filter:
  • In Everything, from the Search menu, click Organize filters....
  • Click New.
  • Change the Name to:
    Recycle Bin
  • Change the Search to:
    c:\$recycle.bin\
  • Click OK.
  • Click New.
  • Change the Name to:
    Backup
  • Change the Search to:
    d:\backup\
    where d:\backup is your backup folder.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Filters can be changed from the Search menu, right clicking the statusbar, the filter bar (View -> Filters), filter shortcut key or filter macro.

The negative run count option is a good idea, I'll consider adding this.
Adding custom colors for paths and filenames that match a specified filter is on my TODO list.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Adding custom colors for paths and filenames that match a specified filter is on my TODO list.
I thought about colors for indexes rather than for filters.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Color filters would be different to your search filters, you could add a custom color filter "?:\$recycle.bin\* that would make any path and filename that matches this filter Grey.
brian12

Post by brian12 »

void wrote:You can modify your Everything filter (the default filter) to exclude folders like your recycle bin and backup folders. Additional filters can be added to search these specific folders.
Thank you. However, my suggestion was more about how to handle such excluded filters. Search results in backup folders intermittently useful, so I'd rather move the results to the bottom and grey them out, rather than outright hiding them.

Adding color filters would also work, if those filters impacted sort order (The performance concerns in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5510 are less applicable, since these filters would be defined in advance, not on individual searches).