New search window - always empty search string?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
dan_pub

New search window - always empty search string?

Post by dan_pub »

I have been using 1.2.371 happily for a long time, and am now trying 1.4.1.809b (on Win7 Pro SP1). The sorting is much faster, thanks.

With the old version, if I have a search window with a search string set (for example E:\images\Ships\), when I start a new search window (^N or File/New search window), then the new window appears with the same search string already set. With the new version, the new window's search string is always empty.
Same thing when opening the first window at the launch of Everything: old version, the new window would already have the string set to the last string in use before closing. Now it is always empty.
I looked through all the options, and I do not find a parameter to address this. Am I doing something wrong, or is it a new behavior?
_ _ _

and a question: while working, I often find that I want to "go back" to the previous search string, and then come back to the latest. Is there a simple way to do this, like we do with the Go Back and Go Forward arrows in a browser window? (I can go back to the previous by clicking the down arrow at end of the search string box and selecting in the drop list, but I find no option to go back forward after that)
salazor

Re: New search window - always empty search string?

Post by salazor »

dan_pub wrote:With the old version, if I have a search window with a search string set (for example E:\images\Ships\), when I start a new search window (^N or File/New search window), then the new window appears with the same search string already set. With the new version, the new window's search string is always empty.
In Everything 1.4 you have to set it in Tools | Options .. | Home tab

and a question: while working, I often find that I want to "go back" to the previous search string, and then come back to the latest. Is there a simple way to do this, like we do with the Go Back and Go Forward arrows in a browser window? (I can go back to the previous by clicking the down arrow at end of the search string box and selecting in the drop list, but I find no option to go back forward after that)
Back = Alt+Left
Forward = Alt+Right
dan_pub

Re: New search window - always empty search string?

Post by dan_pub »

Both work perfect. Thank you much!