cd:/cw:/cm: Feature change suggestion...

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
gutberle

cd:/cw:/cm: Feature change suggestion...

Post by gutberle »

David,

I absolutely love the idea of being able to search for files based on the date/time changed.

However, searching with cd: does not actually seem return the "Date Changed", as in the "Date Modified", but according to the display in the "Everything" window it is the "Date Recently Changed" that this search is based on. While I am not even sure what "Date Recently Changed" actually stands for, it clearly does not denote, which files were modified within the last 24 hours. The dates and times listed are correct in the sense that they denote some form of "change" within that period, but the display virtually exclusively lists files that I have not modified during that period and besides, the absolute majority of my files (WinXP SP3, NTFS) does not even have an entry for this at all!

In looking at the columns available, I can see that there are three further entries which would not only give me exactly what I want, but would extend this immensely useful feature brilliantly. Thus my suggestion: Would it be possible to have the following searches ...

md:/mw:/mm: Modified within last 24 hours, week, month.
cd:/cw:/cm: Created within the last 24 hours, week, month.
ad:/aw:/am: Accessed within the last 24 hours, week, month.
rd:/rw:/rm: Recently changed within the last 24 hours, week, month.

I realize that this would change the meaning of the already existing search term cd:/cw:/cm: completely, but since these were only introduced in the recent alphas, I feel that this change could still be made without causing too much confusion. Hope you and the community agree ;-)

Kind Regards,
Ingmar
void
Developer

Re: cd:/cw:/cm: Feature change suggestion...

Post by void »

Date recently change is different to Date Modified.

Date recently changed refers to the generated USN RECORD date in the USN Change Journal.
This USN record date could be due to any change in the file, (ie content, filename, attributes, security info)
While Date Modified refers to the contents being changed only.

Gathering the modified date for all files and folders can be time consuming, while scanning the USN journal for recently changed files is almost instant.

"Everything" does not index file dates so searching for a modified, created or accessed date range would be no faster than the default Windows Search.

I am considering adding support for searching for a folder creation date range (and possibly file creation date).
I will consider using cd/cw/cm for creation date and rd/rw/rm for recently changed.

I have already changed the cd/cw/cm command..
In 451a, the new syntax is:
c[x]s - changed in the last x seconds
c[x]m - changed in the last x minutes
c[x]h - changed in the last x hours
c[x]d - changed in the last x days
c[x]w - changed in the last x weeks
c[x]M - changed in the last x months
c[x]y - changed in the last x years

if x is omitted the default value of 1 is used.
stephen

Post by stephen »

Everything is a very useful tool. Thankyou.

I would like a date search, especially date modified.
I cannot see where the documentation for cd: etc are even in their current (possibly limited?) version, and can't make them do anything.
I'm just running regular 1.2.1.371 ~ sgould I be running a beta or something to get these features?

~~~
Even thought Everything does not index on date, date could still be much quicker than Window search as a post-filter,
as long as the main filter was fairly effective.

Greetings, Stephen
daspud

Post by daspud »

stephen wrote:...
I'm just running regular 1.2.1.371 ~ sgould I be running a beta or something to get these features?

~~~
Even thought Everything does not index on date, date could still be much quicker than Window search as a post-filter,
as long as the main filter was fairly effective.

Greetings, Stephen
Try this one: latest alpha release

Filtering on date involves looking at every file that matches the search on filename. Or if it is only date then every file in the system. What I usually do when looking for a particular date range is to make the search and then just click the date header to put the results in date order and then scroll down till I get the range I want.

If there are a lot of files then the date filter would be slow too.