Similarity search

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
azagoth

Similarity search

Post by azagoth »

Hi,

First, thanks for this wonderful piece of software !

I don't know if it has already been mentionned, but I didn't find any discussion about it on the forum, so just dropping an idea here:

Similarity search (using Levenshtein distance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenshtein_distance).

This kind of algorithm allows to make searches of similar names, allowing typo errors and approximative search phrases.

That would be a great addition !

Thanks for considering it !
void
Developer

Re: Similarity search

Post by void »

I have been thinking about implementing a fuzzy logic search option for some time now.

The Levenshtein distance looks like a good algorithm for this.

Thanks for the suggestion.
sheppaul

Post by sheppaul »

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22592

You can refer to the link for similarity search. It's a plugin of total commander.

If possible please consider including lead syllable and PinYin search.
Last edited by void on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
stijn

Post by stijn »

Old topic, but another vote for fuzzy matching. These days we're being spoiled by Sublime Text/fzf style matching and I'm using Everything's gui less and less because it doesn't have that fuzzy goodness. For instance: I have a directory d:\temp\new folder. It would be handy to be able to look for this using a string like 'tenw'. The closest now is (I think) path:te*n*w.
I'm currently using PSEverything and PSfzf to get this functionality (something like Search-Everything -Global -FolderInclude @('') | Invoke-Fzf but having it in the gui would be nice.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Oh yes, fuzzy search would be nice!!
YaakovTooth

Post by YaakovTooth »

Yep, fuzzy based on Damerau-Levenstein — this is the only thing missing from the program.

Thanks!