Launch New Window From Shortcut?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Jawpack

Launch New Window From Shortcut?

Post by Jawpack »

I checked the settings and I don't see any way of opening a new window from the shortcut. As I mentioned in another post, I have a program I've been using for many years called Winstep Xtreme. It's a dock program.

I would like to be able to bump and activate the Workshelf that houses all of the desktop icons (they are hidden until the screen is bumped and displays them all in one row that can be cycled through to the rest via mouse scroll if there are too many to fit across the length of the monitor) and click the shortcut for Everything to open a new window instead of using the keyboard or having to click File > New Search Window.
void
Developer

Re: Launch New Window From Shortcut?

Post by void »

To open a new window when running Everything from a shortcut:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the UI tab.
  • Check Create a new window when running Everything.
  • Click OK.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Thanks Void! It works perfectly!
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Hi Void. I have an issue. I usually don't turn off my PC for days. I'm not sure if it's something on my system that is causing an issue with Everything or not. I even clean the system of unwanted junk files etc with a couple of 3rd party cleaners after the problem starts to see if it will fix it, and of course it doesn't. I have several external hard drives connected.

After several hours of PC use, launching Everything via shortcut (either using Winstep Xtreme, or via desktop after exiting Winstep Xtreme) is very sluggish. It takes about 30 seconds to open. However, if I open a new instance via the toolbar File > New Search Window, it opens immediately.

If I logoff and back on, or reboot my PC, launching Everything via shortcut works perfectly opening immediately using Winstep Xtreme, or via desktop after exiting Winstep Xtreme.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Could you please send some debug output when you launch Everything:
Open a command prompt (Windows Key + R -> Enter in: cmd)
Navigate to your Everything installation folder (cd c:\program files\Everything)
Run Everything with the -debug > out.txt command line option:
Everything.exe -debug > out.txt

What is displayed in your out.txt after Everything loads?
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

I might be doing something wrong. After opening cmd, I entered several things you listed and none of them work.

I'm a little confused. Whatever I enter into the cmd box, I get the message "...is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The things I entered are:
Everything.exe -debug
Everything.exe -debug > out.txt
-debug

I'm also confused by your direction "Navigate to your Everything installation folder (cd c:\program files\Everything)." I took it to mean that I should access it by opening Computer > (C:) > Program Files > Everything. If that is the case, I'm totally confused what I'm supposed to do when that folder opens and how that works with the cmd box.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I took it to mean that I should access it by opening Computer > (C:) > Program Files > Everything.
Try the same thing again, this time when you are in this folder:
1) Hold down the SHIFT key and right click on an empty part
2) Click Open command window here.

In the command prompt type in the following and press ENTER:
Everything.exe -debug > %UserProfile%\Desktop\out.txt

On your desktop, there is a file called out.txt
What is displayed in your out.txt after Everything loads?
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

After following the directions, the cmd box has a ton of information. I let it run for at least 10 mins thinking it would eventually stop but it appears it will not so I closed out the cmd box. Was I supposed to close out the box?

Here's the information from out.text:

Everything
Version 1.4.1.809b (x64)
Windows NT 6.1
Processors 4
IsAdmin 0
AppData 1
Service 1
cmdline Everything.exe -debug
ole initialize: 00000000
create mutex
send message ok
mutex exists
shutdown
kill
shutdown STA
STA MSG: 0000000000000000 0000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000
CoUninitialize
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug information.

This looks normal, there's no timing information, so I may need to add that in the next release.
We can also try debug logging. However, before we try that...

Please try enabling the debug console for the running Everything and checking the debug output when you run a shortcut:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • Run Everything from a shortcut with Winstep Xtreme.
  • What is displayed in the Everything debug console?
To close the Everything debug console:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

I just sent the info to the support e-mail. Just so you know, since restarting my PC a couple of days ago, Everything has been working correctly, including launching it from Winstep Xtreme. I haven't shut it down since then or logged off.

I was hoping that whatever the problem is, it would happen again, so I'm not sure if the information will help get to the bottom of whatever was causing the problem.

At least now I know what to do if it happens again.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug output.

I couldn't see any actions taking longer than one second.

I've installed Winstep Xtreme and running Everything appears to start fine.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Just had a problem. I'll have to send you the debug info that logs everything from when I enabled the logging feature a little more than a month ago. I think that's what's called verbose? Otherwise, sending you something from now will not help because I had to restart my PC. Windows Explorer and Winstep Xtreme stopped working and only displayed my Desktop. I had to use the power button to shut my PC down. Something I have installed could be causing a conflict with Everything. I also have a program called QTtabBar installed and JDownloader which was in use when it happened.

How do I save that log so I can send it to you? When you get that log, you should start to check the last few hours before now and hopefully you will see a increase in the time it takes to open Everything, and then the failure of Windows Explorer and Winstep Xtreme and what caused it. I don't know if the log shows time or not.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please compress the log as verbose debug logging can generate some very large text files. zip is fine, 7z is better.

If the compressed debug log is smaller than 10MB, please email it to support@voidtools.com, otherwise, please upload it to google drive or other file hosting site.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

I guess I didn't explain it properly. I need to know how to access the log that has been recording events BEFORE THE FAILURE AND SAVE IT so I can send it to you. I have no idea how to do that.

I looked in the APPDATA folder and didn't see anything that looked like it was logging and saving the data.

Thanks for the compressing info. I wouldn't have thought about that.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The debug log is saved to %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt

Type %TEMP% into the Window Explorer address bar to navigate to this folder, it is usually located at:
C:\Users\<current user>\AppData\Local\Temp

The debug log is only created when enabled. It is disabled by default.

Because the logs can become rather massive in size, the log is deleted every time you run Everything.exe.
If you encounter a crash you will need to copy this log to another folder before running Everything again, otherwise it will be deleted.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Oh wow. I wish I would have known that beforehand. I wouldn't have opened Everything after the failure. I'll be prepared this time in case that happens again.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Hi Void. I just sent you the verbose logging file. The issue happened again with it taking 30 seconds to open after using a shortcut to launch Everything. It opens immediately when using File > New Search Window.

I sure hope you can get to the bottom of what the problem is.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Just resent the correct info.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug log.
2017-03-19 13:50:06.921: create mutex
2017-03-19 13:50:32.376: send message ok
It's taking Everything nearly 30 seconds to send the command line to existing Everything process.

I think this might have something to do with debug log being enabled, please try disabling debug logging:
In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
/debug_log=0

You can also delete your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt if you wish as it is very large.

Is the issue still reproducible?
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Oh wow!! That fixed the problem! I then deleted the debug log as you instructed.

So, is the reason that as the debug log gets larger it slows down the time that it takes to open?

What confuses me is why it only does it when a shortcut is used, and not when File > New Search Window is used.
void
Developer

Post by void »

So, is the reason that as the debug log gets larger it slows down the time that it takes to open?
Yes, Everything must open the long debug log, it will try to truncate to the new line after 8MB. Unfortunately, there is no new line after roughly 1GB of nuls.
Not sure how its happened, but debug logging was changed in a more recent nightly build and will automatically delete old logs:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5718
What confuses me is why it only does it when a shortcut is used, and not when File > New Search Window is used.
Running Everything from a shortcut launches a new Everything.exe process, this process tries to creates a new debug log which is where the problem lies.
The latest nightly build won't create another debug log.

When starting a new window from File -> New Search Window, Everything is already running, no new debug log is created, it is the same Everything.exe process.
Jawpack

Post by Jawpack »

Okay cool! I just DL and installed the nightly build. I'll keep tabs on it and report if something isn't right. I supposed it will be a while before a public beta version is released.